Catherine G. McLaughlin, PhD
- Professor, Department of Health Management and Policy
- Senior Fellow & Director (Ann Arbor office), Mathematica Policy Research
- 1415 Washington Heights
- M3108 SPH II
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Catherine McLaughlin is a Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan. She is also a Senior Fellow at Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. (MPR) and the director of research for the MPR Ann Arbor office. Dr. McLaughlin is an elected member of the Institute of Medicine and the National Academy of Social Insurance and a member of the Council on Health Care Economics and Policy. Dr. McLaughlin has studied various health economics topics. She has published numerous articles on the impact of HMOs on market competition and health care costs, the determinants of small area variation in hospital utilization and costs, and issues surrounding the working uninsured. Her current research interests are focused on health insurance coverage, employer, employee, and Medicare beneficiary coverage choice, barriers to access, and health information technology.
- PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1980
- M.S., Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1978
- A.B., , Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 1971
Dr. McLaughlin's current research interests are focused on the uninsured, managed care, market competition, and employer and employee benefit choice.
- Bagchi, A. D., Stewart, K., McLaughlin, C., Higgins, P., & Croghan, T. (forthcoming). Treatment and outcomes for congestive heart failure by race/ethnicity in TRICARE. Medical Care. .
- Stewart, K. A., Higgins, P.C., McLaughlin, C.G., Williams, T.V., Granger, E. & Croghan, T.W. (2010). Differences in prevalence, treatment and outcomes of asthma among a diverse population of children with equal access to care: Findings from a study in the military health system. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 720-726.
- Gibson, T.B., McLaughlin, C.G., & Smith, D. G. (2010). Generic utilization and cost-sharing for prescription drugs. In Advances in Health Economics and Health Services Research 195-219.
- Kullgren, J. T., & McLaughlin, C.G. (2010). Beyond affordability: The impact of nonfinancial barriers on access for uninsured adults in three diverse communities. Journal of Community Health 240-248.
- McLaughlin, C. G., Levy, H. & Quinn, B. (2009). Aspects of health reform: Contributions from the Economic Research Initiative on the Uninsured. Inquiry 182-186.
- Rutledge, M. S., & McLaughlin, C.G. (2008). Hispanics and Health Insurance Coverage: The Rising Disparity Medical Care 1086-1092.
- Taylor, E.F., McLaughlin, C.G., Warren, A.W. and Song, P.H. (April, 2006). Who Enrolls in Community-Based Programs for the Uninsured and Why Do They Stay? Health Affairs, Web Exclusive W173-W182.
- Taylor, E.F., Chernew, M.E., and McLaughlin, C.G. (2006). Do Determinants of Medicare Supplemental Coverage Choice Vary by Income? Journal of Health and Social Policy 1-18.
- Cawley, J.H., Chernew, M.E., McLaughlin, C.G. (Fall, 2005). HMO Participation in Medicare Managed Care Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 543-574.
- Gibson, T.B., McLaughlin, C.G., Smith, D.G. (2005). A Copayment Increase for Prescription Drugs: The Long-Term and Short-Term Effects on Use and Expenditures. Inquiry 293-310.
- Academy Health
- American Economic Association
- American Society of Health Economics
- International Health Economics Association