Sofia D. Merajver, M.D., Ph.D.
I am a physician scientist with a translational focus of integrating molecular genetics of breast cancer with clinical, social, and environmental determinants of outcomes in the global stage for women at high risk for breast cancer and women affected with aggressive breast cancer phenotypes. As Director of the Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Program which I founded the at the University of Michigan in 1995 and as scientific leader of the Breast Oncology Program, I am engaged with clinical translational research that tests prevention and therapeutic interventions as well as educational tools to improve cancer outcomes globally. I have supervised graduate and undergraduate students, and mentored postdoctoral fellows and junior faculty who have entered research careers in molecular and psychosocial aspects of cancer outcomes in special populations in the US and in Africa. Our global health research has encompassed comparative studies on expression of metastasis associated genes in inflammatory breast cancer in the US and Africa, perceived risk, dynamics of social interactions in the family of patients at high risk, fear of insurance and employment discrimination as a major decision making determinant, and acceptance and barriers to utilization of chemoprevention in breast cancer. My global health work includes collaborations with multidisciplinary teams in the medical, epidemiological, engineering, and social sciences to train translational scientists and to best deliver cancer risk management interventions around the globe and rigorously evaluate their impact in ameliorating inequities in health. 1976-1977, Fellow of the Center for Theoretical Physics, University of Maryland 1977-1978, Faculty Research Assistant, Institute of Physical Science and Technology, U. of Maryland 1980-1983, Asst. Professor of Physical Chemistry, Dept of Chemistry, Polytechnic University, New York 1983 -1987, Assoc. Res. Scientist, Biophysics Research Div. & Assist. Prof. of Physics (Adj.), U of Michigan 1993-1994, Lecturer in Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan 1994-present, Director, Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Program, University of Michigan 1994-1999, Assistant Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan 1999-2004, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan 2004-present, Scientific Director, Breast Oncology Program, University of Michigan 2004-present, Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan 2010-2012, Director, University of Michigan Center for Global Health
- Fellow in Hematology/Oncology, , University of Michigan, 1991-1993
- Resident in Internal Medicine, , University of Michigan Medical Center, 1988-1991
- M.D., , University of Michigan, 1987
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, , Naval Research Laboratory, 1978-1980
- Ph.D., Physics, University of Maryland, 1978
- M.S., Physics, University of Maryland, 1975
- B.S., Mathematics, University of Maryland, 1973
- Mooney, C.J., Merajver, S.D. (In Press). Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations: Dynamic Extrapolation of Limited Data. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment .
- Iniesta, M.D., Chien, J., Wicha, M., Merajver, S.D. (2010). One-hit effects and cancer. Cancer Prevention Research 12-5.
- Dey, S., Hablas, A., Seifeldin, I.A., Ismail, K., Ramadan, M., El-Hamzawy, H., Wilson, M.L., Banerjee, M., Boffetta, P., Harford, J., Merajver, S.D., Soliman, A.S. (2010). Urban-rural differences of gynaecological malignancies in Egypt (1999-2002). BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 348-55.
- Chang, C.W., Wu, M., Merajver, S.D., Mycek, M.A. (2009). Physiological fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy improves Forster resonance energy transfer detection in living cells. Journal of Biomedical Optics 060502.
- Iniesta, M.D., Mooney, C.J., Merajver, S.D. (). Inflammatory breast cancer: what are the treatment options? Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 2987-97.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Metastasis Research Society
- Women in Cancer Research, AACR
- Molecular Epidemiology Group, AACR
- Minorities in Cancer Research, AACR
- American Society for Cell Biology
- International Consortium for Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research
- Editorial Positions:
- Editorial Board Member, The American Journal of Oncology Review
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Oncology
- Associate Editor, Cancer Prevention Research
- Senior Editor for Cancer Research (Systems Biology & Emerging Technologies), Leader in Initiating Mathematical Oncology Section
- Editorial Board Member, Therapeutic Advances in Medical Oncology