Arnold S. Monto, M.D.
- Professor, Epidemiology
- Professor, Global Public Health
- Thomas Francis, Jr. Collegiate Professor of Public Health
- 5146 SPH II
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Monto's primary current concerns include occurrence, etiology and prevention of infectious diseases in industrialized and developing countries; frequency and cause of respiratory infections in families living in the community, and in factors which predict the occurrence and prevention of these illnesses; research and training to respond to bioterrorist threats.
- M.D., Cornell University, 1958
- B.A., Cornell University, 1954
- Prevention and treatment of influenza;
Epidemiology of respiratory infection;
Infectious disease epidemiology.
- Hand hygiene and mask use interventions for reducing influenza transmission in the community setting (The M-FLU Study)
- Monto, A.S. (2003). Use of selective viral cultures to adjust nonvirologic endpoints in studies of influenza vaccine efficacy. American Journal of Epidemiology.158:312-5.
- Monto, A.S. (2003). The role of antivirals in the control of influenza. Vaccine. 21:1796-800.
- Monto, A.S., Pichichero, M.E., Blanckenberg, S.J., Ruuskanen, O., Cooper, C., Fleming, D.M., Kerr, C. (2002). Zanamivir prophylaxis: An effective strategy for the prevention of influenza types A and B within households. Journal of Infectious Disease. 186:1582-8.
- Monto, A.S. (2002). Contemporary Diagnosis, Prevention, and Management of Influenza. Newton, Pennsylvania: Handbooks in Health Care Co. First Edition. pp. 1-227.
- Welliver, R., Monto, A.S., Carewicz, O. et al. (2001). Effectiveness of oseltamivir in preventing influenza in household contacts: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of American Medical Association. 285:748-54.
- Monto, A.S., Hornbuckle, K., Ohmit, S.E. (2001). Influenza vaccine effectiveness among elderly nursing home residents: A cohort study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 154:155-60.
- Hayden, F.G., Gubareva, L.V., Monto, A.S., et al. (2000). Inhaled zanamivir for the prevention of influenza in families. New England Journal of Medicine. 343:1282-9.
- Monto, A.S. (2000). Preventing influenza in healthy adults: The evolving story. Journal of American Medical Association. 284:1699-1701.
- Monto, A.S., Gravenstein, S., Elliott, M., Colopy, M. & Schweinle, J. (2000). Clinical signs and symptoms predicting influenza infection. Archives of Internal Medicine. 160:3243-7.
- Monto, A.S. (2005). The threat of an avian influenza pandemic. New England Journal of Medicine. 352:323-5.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Epidemiological Society
- American Public Health Association
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (Fellow)
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- International Epidemiological Association