Hal Morgenstern, Ph.D.
Dr. Morgenstern, former chair of the Epidemiology Department, is a well-known epidemiologist with extensive research experience in a wide range of diseases and public-health areas, including musculoskeletal conditions, cancers, chronic renal disease, neuropsychiatric disorders, nonintentional injuries, cardiovascular disease, plus epidemiologic methods, clinical and outcomes research, occupational and environmental health, psychosocial aspects of disease, and access to health care. He has authored or co-authored numerous publications in the biomedical literature, including an influential textbook on Epidemiologic Research: Principles and Quantitative Methods (1982), and he has received four teaching awards in the schools of public health at Yale University (1985) and UCLA (1989, 1997, and 1999).
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1978
- M.R.P., City and Regional Planning, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1974
- B.Arch., Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1969
Research Interests & Projects
- Dr. Morgenstern’s recent projects include studies of outcomes and practice patterns among hemodialysis patients, the effects of marijuana use on the risks of lung and upper-aerodigestive-tract cancers, cancer incidence in the community surrounding an aerospace/former nuclear facility, medical versus chiropractic care in the treatment of low-back pain, the use of cervical manipulation versus mobilization in the treatment of neck pain, the effects of occupational exposures to low-level ionizing radiation and chemicals on cancer mortality in nuclear and aerospace workers, health-impact assessment of planned interventions, the incidence of tardive dyskinesia among psychiatric patients treated with atypical versus conventional antipsychotics, and methods of ecologic design and analysis in epidemiology.
- Morgenstern, H., Sohn, W. (). Observational studies in oral health research. In Giannobile W, Burt B, Genco R (Ed.) Clinical Research in Oral Health. . Ames, IA: Blackwell Publishing, In Press
- Woods, S.W., Morgenstern, H., Saksa, J.R., et al. (). Incidence of tardive dyskinesia with atypical and conventional antipsychotic medications: Prospective cohort study. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry .
- Morgenstern, H. (). Attributable fraction. In Boslaugh S (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Epidemiology. . Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2008:55-63
- Morgenstern, H. (). Ecologic studies. In Rothman KJ, Greenland S, Lash T (Ed.) Modern Epidemiology, . Third edition. Philadelphia:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008:511-531
- Hashibe, M., Morgenstern, H., Cui, Y., Tashkin, D.P., Zhang, Z-F., Cozen, W., Mack, T.M., Greenland, S. (). Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper-aerodigestive-tract cancers: Results of a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 1829-1834.
- Ritz, B., Zhao, Y., Krishnasdasan, A., Kennedy, N., Morgenstern, H. (). Estimated effects of hydrazine exposure on cancer incidence and mortality in aerospace workers. Epidemiology 154-161.
- Cui, Y., Morgenstern, H., Greenland, S., Tashkin, D.P., Mao, J., Cao, W., Cozen, W., Mack, T.M., Zhang, Z-F. (). Polymorphism of xeroderma pigmentosum group G and the risk of lung cancer and squamous carcinomas of the oropharynx, larynx, and esophagus. International Journal of Cancer 714-720.
- Hurwitz, E.L., Morgenstern, H., Kominski, G.F., Yu, F., Chiang, L-M. (). A randomized trial of chiropractic and medical care for patients with low-back pain: Eighteen-month follow-up outcomes from the UCLA Low Back Pain Study. Spine 611-621.
- Cole, B.L., Shimkhada, R., Morgenstern, H., Kominski, G., Fielding, J.E., Wu, S. (). Projected health impact of the Los Angeles City living wage ordinance. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 645-650.
- Hurwitz, E.L., Morgenstern, H., Vassilaki, M., Chiang, L-M. (). Frequency and clinical predictors of adverse reactions to chiropractic care in the UCLA Neck Pain Study: a randomized clinical trial. Spine 1477-1484.
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American Public Health Association
- International Epidemiological Association
- American Statistical Association
- Editorial Board, Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health
- Editorial Board and Associate Editor, The Spine Journal
- Editorial Board and Associate Editor, Epidemiology