Dr. Musch is Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences in the Medical School and Professor of Epidemiology in the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan. He received his MPH and PhD (in epidemiologic sciences) from the University of Michigan. Dr. Musch studies both clinical and patient-reported outcomes of treatments for both common and uncommon eye diseases, with a focus that has ranged from corneal transplantation to medical and surgical treatments for glaucoma. Screening and diagnosis of common childhood eye diseases, and disparities in eye care, are also among his research interests. He serves on monitoring boards for many ongoing clinical trials of proposed treatments for eye diseases, editorial boards for three journals, and is an Advisory Board member for the Cochrane Collaboration Eyes and Vision Group US Project.
PhD, Epidemiologic Sciences, University of Michigan, 1981
MPH, Epidemiology, University of Michigan, 1978
Research Interests & Projects
Research addresses treatment effectiveness, clinical trial design, methods, and coordinating center operation, variation in measurement, screening and diagnostic accuracy, clinical and patient-reported outcomes.
- Stein, J.D., Andrews, C., Musch, D.C., Green, C., Lee, P.P. Sight-threatening ocular diseases remain underdiagnosed among children of less affluent families. Health Affairs 2016; 35:1359-66.
- Musch, D.C., Gillespie, B.W., Palmberg, P.F., Spaeth, G., Niziol, L.M, Lichter, P.R. Visual field improvement in the Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study. Am J Ophthalmol 2014; 158:96-104. PMCID: PMC4190842
- Musch, D.C., Janz, N.K., Leinberger, R.L., Niziol, L.M., Gillespie, B.W. Discussing driving concerns with older patients. II. Vision care providers’ approaches to assessment. JAMA Ophthalmol 2013; 131:213-8. PMID: 23544208
- Musch, D.C., Gillespie, B.W., Niziol, L.M., Lichter, P.R., Varma, R.. Intraocular pressure control and long-term visual field loss in the Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment Study. Ophthalmology 2011;118:1766-73. PMCID: PMC3161134
- Archer, S.M., Musch, D.C., Wren, P.A., Guire, K.E., Del Monte, M.A. Social and emotional impact of strabismus surgery on quality of life in children. J AAPOS 2005;9:148-51. PMID: 15838442
- Musch, D.C., Martin, D.F., Gordon, J.F, Davis, M.D., Kuppermann, B.D., Ganciclovir Implant Study Group. Treatment of cytomegalovirus retinitis with a sustained-release ganciclovir implant. N Engl J Med 1997;337:83-90. PMID: 9211677
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American College of Epidemiology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Society for Clinical Trials
- Society for Epidemiologic Research