Thuy D. Nguyen, PhD
Health Management and Policy
- 1415 Washington Heights
- M3234 SPH II
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
- Dr. Thuy Nguyen is a Research Assistant Professor and health economist in the Department of Health Management and Policy and the Center for Evaluating Health Reform at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.
- Dr. Nguyen received her PhD in Economics from Maastricht University (Netherlands), MPA from Indiana University (USA), and Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Banking from National Economics University (Vietnam).
- Prior to coming to Michigan, Dr. Nguyen was a postdoctoral researcher at the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs and a researcher at the Ministry of Investment and Planning of Vietnam.
- Dr. Nguyen has received several awards, including being listed in Addiction’s Top Downloaded Papers 2018-2019 (2020) and American Society of Health Economists Diversity Scholarship (2020).
- PhD, Economics, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands, 2016
- MPA, Policy Analysis, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA, 2012
- B.A. (Summa Cum Laude), Finance and Banking, National Economics University, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2008
Dr. Nguyen's research interests include incentive issues of medical providers, impacts of drug and substance use regulations, and prescribing behavior.
Bento, A., Nguyen, T.D., Wing, C., Lozano-Rojas, F., Ahn, Y., Simon, K. Evidence from internet search data shows information-seeking responses to news of local COVID-19 cases. PNAS, 2020.
Andraka-Christou, B., Nguyen, T.D., Harris, S., Madeira, J., Totaram, R., Randall-Kosich, O., Atkins, D., & Ford, J. College students’ knowledge of and perceived helpfulness of medications for opioid use disorder at two American universities. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 2020.
Scrivner O., Nguyen T. D., Simon K., Middaugh E., Taska B., Borner K. Hiring in the substance use disorder treatment workforce during the first five years of Medicaid expansion. PLOS One, 2020.
Nguyen, T. D., Andraka-Christou B., Bradford W. B., & Simon K. I. Rural Disadvantage in Distribution of Direct-To-Physician Promotion of Medications for Treating Opioid Use Disorder. JAMA Netw Open, 2019.
Andraka-Christou, B., Nguyen T. D., Simon K. I., Bradford W. B. Assessing the Impact of Drug Courts on Provider-Directed Marketing Efforts by Manufactures of Medications for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2019.
Nguyen, T. D., Andraka-Christou, B., Simon, K., & Bradford, W. D. Provider-directed marketing may increase prescribing of medications for opioid use disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 104, 104-115, 2019.
Nguyen, T. D., Bradford, W. D., & Simon, K. I. Pharmaceutical payments to physicians may increase prescribing for opioids. Addiction, 114(6), 1051-1059, 2019.
Nguyen, T. D. Does firm growth increase corruption? Evidence from an instrumental variable approach. Small Business Economics, 1-20, 2019.
Nguyen, T. D., & Perez, V. Privatizing Plaintiffs: How Medicaid, the False Claims Act, and Decentralized Fraud Detection Affect Public Fraud Enforcement Efforts. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2019.
- American Society of Health Economists
- American Economic Association