Edward C. Norton, PhD
- Professor, Department of Health Management and Policy
- Professor, Department of Economics
- Research Affiliate, Population Studies Center
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- M3108 SPH II
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Edward C. Norton is a Professor in both the Department of Health Management and Policy
and in the Department of Economics at the University of Michigan, and a member of
the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation. In addition to his affiliations
with the University of Michigan, Prof. Norton is a Research Associate of the National
Bureau of Economic Research in the Health Economics, Health Care, and Economics of
Aging Programs. His research interests in health economics include econometrics, long-term
care and aging, and pay-for-performance. He was the Director of the Robert Wood Johnson
Foundation Scholars in Health Policy Research at the University of Michigan. In 2003,
before coming to Michigan, he taught at UNC at Chapel Hill and at Harvard Medical
School. In 2018 he won the School of Public Health Excellence in Research Award at
the University of Michigan.
- PhD, Economics, MIT, 1990
- A.B., Economics, Princeton University, 1986
- Health economics, econometrics, long-term care and aging, and pay-for-performance.
- Ólafsdóttir, T., T.L. Ásgeirsdóttir, E.C. Norton. 2020. “Valuing pain using the subjective-wellbeing method.” Economics and Human Biology 37 Article number 100827.
- Cornell, P.Y., D.C. Grabowski, E.C. Norton, M. Rahman. 2019. “Do report cards predict future quality? The case of skilled nursing facilities.” Journal of Health Economics 66:208–221.
- Cawley, J., E. Han, J. Kim, E.C. Norton. 2019. “Testing for family influences on obesity: The role of genetic nurture” Health Economics 28(7):937–952.
- Norton, E.C., B.E. Dowd, M.L. Maciejewski. 2019. Marginal effects—Quantifying the effect of changes in risk factors in logistic regression models. JAMA 321(13):1304–1305.
- Konetzka, R.T., K.B. Lasater, E.C. Norton, R.M. Werner. 2018. “Are recessions good for staffing in nursing homes?” American Journal of Health Economics 4(4):411–432.
- Norton, E.C., O. Nizalova, I. Murtazashvili. 2018. “Does past unemployment experience explain the transition happiness gap?” Journal of Comparative Economics 46(3):736–753.
- Norton, E.C., J. Li, A. Das, L.M. Chen. 2018. “Moneyball in Medicare.” Journal of Health Economics 61:259–273.
- Norton, E.C. 2018. “Long-term care and pay-for-performance programs.” Review of Development Economics 22(3):1005-1021.
- Norton, E.C., B.E. Dowd, M.L. Maciejewski. 2018. “Odds Ratios—Current Best Practice and Use.” JAMA 320(1):84–85.
- Norton, E.C. and B.E. Dowd. 2018. “Log odds and the interpretation of logit models.” Health Services Research 53(2):859-878.
- Levy, H.G., E.C. Norton, J.A. Smith. 2018. “Tobacco regulation and cost-benefit analysis: How should we value foregone consumer surplus?” American Journal of Health Economics 4(1):1-25.
- Deb, P, E.C. Norton, and W.G. Manning. 2017. Health Econometrics Using Stata. College Station, TX: Stata Press.
- Belotti, F., P. Deb, W.G. Manning, E.C. Norton. 2015. “twopm: Two-part models.” Stata Journal 15(1):3-20.
- Ai, C. and E.C. Norton. 2003. “Interaction Terms in Logit and Probit Models.” Economics Letters 80(1):123-129.