Minal R. Patel, PhD, M.P.H
- Associate Professor, Health Behavior & Health Education
- Associate Chair, Health Behavior & Health Education
- 3810 SPH I
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Patel is an Associate Professor in the Department of Health Behavior & Health
Education. She completed her M.P.H and PhD in HBHE at the University of Michigan.
Dr. Patel's research program focuses on the development and evaluation of behavioral
interventions that focus on improving self-efficacy and navigation skills for individuals
to access complex health care delivery systems, affordable healthcare, and management
of chronic disease. Emphases of her work include health-related financial toxicity,
team-based care, health and financial literacy, and populations with a long history
of health disparities. Dr. Patel's research has been funded by the National Institutes
of Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation,
American Lung Association, and private foundations. She has led studies focused on
improving health insurance literacy in economically disadvantaged communities, screening
and addressing unmet social needs in clinical settings, and health care provider training
in implementing guideline-based care. She also serves on the evaluation team of Michigan's
expanded Medicaid program. Dr. Patel's work is primarily situated in a broad range
of health care and health care delivery settings. She is particularly interested in
methods of intervention that utilize e-health and m-health technologies, and community
Dr. Patel directs the Center for Behavioral Solutions to Healthcare Engagement and Access (CBSHC) at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. She is a member of the Michigan Center for Diabetes and Translational Research, the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation. Dr. Patel is also the Middle East and North African (MENA) Community Liaison for the Rogel Cancer Center and leads the MENA Research Group. Dr. Patel is an active member of the Behavioral Sciences and Health Services Research Assembly of the American Thoracic Society, and serves on the society's Health Equality and Diversity Committee and International Conference Committee. In 2017, Dr. Patel received the Early Career Achievement award from the Behavioral Sciences and Health Services Research Assembly of the American Thoracic Society. Dr. Patel is currently an Emerging Leader in Health and Medicine through the National Academy of Medicine.
- PhD, Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, 2013
- M.P.H, Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, 2009
- B.A., Psychology, University of California, San Diego, 2006
Dr. Patel directs the Center for Behavioral Solutions to Healthcare Engagement and Access (CBSHC): cbshc.org
Funded and ongoing projects focus on:
- Financial toxicity with managing chronic disease and cost-related non-adherence; the design and evaluation of behavioral interventions to improve patient-provider communication around these burdens, access to care and unmet social needs, and adherence to treatment regimens.
- Health insurance, health, and financial literacy, and care navigation in health disparity populations.
- Provider training interventions to improve collaboration and communication in health care delivery.
- Middle Eastern/North African/Arab American health
- Patel MR. Social Determinants of Poor Management of Type 2 Diabetes among the Insured. Curr Diab Rep. 2020 Nov 5;20(11):67.
- Patel MR, Heisler M, Piette JD, Resnicow K, Song PXK, Choe HM, Shi X, Tobi J, Smith A. Study Protocol: CareAvenue program to improve unmet social risk factors and diabetes outcomes- A randomized controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2020 Jan 7;89:105933.
- Patel MR, Tiperneni R, Kieffer EC, Kullgren JT, Ayanian JZ, Chang T, Solway E, Beathard E, Bryant C, Kirch M, Lee S, Clark SJ, Skillicorn J, Rowe, Z E, Goold SD. Changes in health status of racial and ethnic minorities after Medicaid Expansion. JAMA Network Open, 2020 Jul 1;3(7):e208776.
- Patel MR, Israel BA, Song PXK, Hao W, TerHaar L, Tariq M, Lichtenstein RL. Insuring Good Health: Outcomes and acceptability of a participatory health insurance literacy intervention in diverse urban communities. Health Education & Behavior, 2019 Feb 20:1090198119831060.
- Resnicow K, Patel MR, Mcleod MC, Katz SJ, Jagsi R. Physician attitudes about cost consciousness for breast cancer treatment: Differences by cancer sub-specialty. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2019 Jan;173(1):31-36.
- Patel MR, Press VG, Gerald LB, Barnes T, Blake K, Brown LK, Costello R, Crim C, Forshag M, Gershon A, Goss CH, Han MK, Lee TA, Sweet S, Gerald JK. An official American Thoracic Society Policy Statement: Improving affordability of prescription medications for people with chronic respiratory disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2018 Dec 1;198(11):1367-1374.
- Patel MR, Resnicow K, Lang I, Kraus K, Heisler M. Solutions to address diabetes-related financial burden and cost-related non-adherence: Results from a pilot study. Health Education and Behavior, 2018 Feb;45(1):101-111.
- Patel MR, Piette JD, Resnicow K, Dobson-Kowalski T, Heisler, M. Social determinants of health, cost-related non-adherence, and cost-reducing behaviors among adults with diabetes: findings from the National Health Interview Survey. Medical Care, 2016 Aug;54(8):796-803.
- American Thoracic Society
- Society of Behavioral Medicine