Martin Philbert became dean of the University of Michigan School of Public Health on January 1, 2011, having previously served as senior associate dean for research at the school since 2004. He arrived at UM in 1995 from Rutgers' Neurotoxicology Laboratories, where he was a research assistant professor. He has maintained a continuously federally funded portfolio of basic research activities throughout his career. Most recently his work has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Air Force and the National Cancer Institute.
At the national level, he is recognized for his expertise in neurotoxicology and experimental neuropathology. He is the author of numerous research publications in top peer-reviewed journals, and one book.
- PhD, Neurochemistry/Experimental Neuropathology, London University, 1987
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Biology/Chemistry, CCAT, Cambridge, 1984
Research Interests & Projects
- Active research activities include experimental neuropathology, nitrocompound-induced encephalopathies, mitochondrial mechanisms in non-neuronal cell death, development of Nano-Optical Chemical Systems for in vivo physiology, and nanostructure-based imaging and treatment of tumors of malignant gliomas.
- Magnetically Responsive Optical Nanoprobes (MagRONs) & Systems Sponsor: DOD
- Cancer Diagnosis & Therapy with Dynamic Nanoplatforms Sponsor: NCI
- Nanoscale Modeling & Sensing on Intracellular Transport Sponsor: Keck Foundation
- Role of Astrocyte Mitochondria in Neurotoxicity Sponsor: NIH
- Moser, V.C., Aschner, M., Richardson, R.J., and Philbert, M.A. (2007). Toxic responses of the nervous system In C. Klaassen (Ed.) Casarett and Doull's Toxicology: The Basic Science of Poisons, 7th edition. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Gao, D. Xu, H. Philbert, M.A. and Kopelman, R. (2007). Ultrafine hydrogel nanoparticles: synthetic approach and therapeutic application in living cells Angewandte Chemie-International Edition 2224-7.
- Miller, T.J., Schneider, R.J., Miller, J.A., Martin, B.P., Al-Ubaidi, M.R., Agarwal, N., Dethloff, L.A., Philbert, M.A. (2006). Photoreceptor cell apoptosis induced by the 2-nitroimidazole radiosensitizer, CI-1010, is mediated by p53-linked activation of caspase-3. NeuroToxicology 44-59.
- Buck, S.M., Xu, H., Brasuel, M., Philbert, M.A. and Kopelman, R. (2004). Nanoscale probes encapsulated by biologically localized embedding (PEBBLEs) for ion sensing and imaging in live cells. Talanta In Press.
- Leyton, B.E., Sastry, A.M., Wang, H., Sullivan, K.A., Feldman, E.L., Komorowski, T.E. and Philbert, M.A. (2004). Changes in sciatic nerve collagen morphology and distribution in BB rat diabetic neuropathy. J Biomechanics.
- Koo, Y-E.L., Cao, Y., Kopelman, R., Koo, S.M., Brausuel, M. and Philbert, M.A. (2004). Real-time measurements of dissolved oxygen inside live cells by organically modified silicates fluroescent nanosensors. Anal Chem 2498-2505.
- Park, E., Kopelman, R., Brasuel, M. and Philbert, M.A. (2003). Ratiometric optical PEBBLE nanosensors for magnesium ions in viable cells. Anal Chem 3784-3791.
- 2013: Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2012: Member, Institute of Medicine
- 2010: U.S. Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture, AFRI Nanotechnology for Food Safety Program Panel
- 2010: National Research Council Committee to develop a research strategy for Environmental, Health, and Safety aspects of Engineered Nanomaterials
- 2009: U.S. EPA FIFRA Scientific Advisory Panel
- 2009: Science Advisory Board to the National Center for Toxicological Research public advisory meeting to the Food and Drug Administration
- 2008: Vice Chair, National Academies National Research Council (NRC) Committee for Review of the Federal Strategy to Address Environmental, Health, and Safety Research Needs for Engineered Nanoscale Materials
- 2007: Member, National Academies National Research Council (NRC) Committee for Review of the Federal Strategy to Address Environmental, Health, and Safety Research Needs for Engineered Nanoscale Materials
- 2008 - Member and Acting Chair, National Research Council Committee for Review of The Federal Strategy to Address Environmental, Health, and Safety Research Needs for Engineered Nanoscale Materials
- 2007 - Present, Member, Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine
- 2007 - Present, Roundtable on Environmental Health Sciences, Research, and Medicine, Institute of Medicine