John D. Piette, Ph.D.
- Professor, Health Behavior & Health Education
- Professor, Internal Medicine
- Senior Research Scientist, Veterans Administration
- Director, Center for Managing Chronic Disease
- 2802 SPH I
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Piette is a Professor in the Department of Health Behavior Health Education and Co-Director of the Center for Managing Chronic Disease. Additionally Dr. Piette is a VA Senior Research Career Scientist, an Associate Director for the UM Medical School Global REACH Program and the Michigan Diabetes Translational Research Center. Internationally, he is a Fulbright Scholar with ongoing projects focused on mobile health and chronic illness care in Latin America.
Dr. Piette is a global leader in innovation for chronic disease self-management support. His work focuses on improving access to quality self-management support among patients with a variety of chronic conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, depression, and chronic pain. Projects emphasize improvements in care for socioeconomically vulnerable people in the US and Latin America. Dr. Piette's work includes developing mobile health interventions designed to improve patient health monitoring and assistance with behavior changes. He also studies risk factors for accessibility problems and poor medication adherence.
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, Brown University, 1992
- M.S., Health Policy and Management, Harvard, 1987
- B.A., Political Science, University of Wisconsin, 1985
Research Interests & Projects
- Interventional research to improve chronic disease management
- Self-management support for vulnerable populations
- Peer interventions and informal caregiver support
- Medication use with a focus on cost-related non-adherence
- Global Health with a focus on Latin America
- Telehealth, health informatics, mobile health, and artificial intellegence
- Access to primary care and mental health services
- Piette, J.D., Aikens, J.E., Rosland, A.M., Sussman J. (In Press). Re-Thinking the frequency of between-visit monitoring for patients with diabetes. Med Care.
- Aikens, J.E., Zivin, K., Rosland, A.M., Piette, J.D. (In Press). Diabetes self-management support using mHealth and enhanced informal caregiving. J Diabetes Complications.
- Trivedi, R., Beaver, K., Zeliadt, S.B., Nelson, K., Eugenio, E., Rosland, A.M., Grimesey, J., Bouldin, E., Piette, J.D. (In Press). Characteristics and well-being of informal caregivers? Results from a nationally-representative US Survey. Chronic Illness.
- Piette, J.D., Aikens, J., Trivedi, R., Parrish, D., Standiford, C., Marinec, N., Striplin, D., Bernstein, S.J. (2013). Enhanced depression self-management support in primary care using automated telephonic assessment and social support. American Journal of Managed Care 892-900.
- Rosland, A.M., Heisler, M., Janevic, M., Connell, C., Langa, K., Kerr, E.A., Piette, J.D. (2013). Current and potential support for chronic disease management in the United States: The perspective of family and friends of chronically ill adults. Family, Systems & Health 119-3.
- Piette, J.D., Resnicow, K., Choi, H.J., Heisler, M. (2013). A diabetes peer support model that improved glycemic control: mediators and moderators of intervention effectiveness. Chronic Illness 258-267.
- Aikens, J., Piette, J.D. (2013). Longitudinal effects of medication adherence on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 338-44.
- Piette, J.D., Marinec, N., Gallegos-Cabriales, E.C., Gutierrez-Valverde, J.M., Rodriguez-Saldaña, J., Menoza-AVelares, M., Silveira, M.J. (2013). Spanish-speaking patients' engagement in Interactive Voice Response (IVR) chronic disease self-management support calls: analysis of data from three countries. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 89-94.
- Piette, J.D., et al. (2013). Maximizing the value of mobile health monitoring by avoiding redundant patient reports: Prediction of depression-related symptoms and adherence problems in automated health assessment services. Journal of Medical Internet Research e118.
- Piette, J.D., Rosland, A.M., Marinec, N.S., Striplin, D., Bernstein, S.J., Silveira, M.J. (2013). Engagement in automated patient monitoring and self-management support calls: experience with a thousand chronically-ill patients. Med Care 216-223.
- American Diabetes Association
- Society for General Internal Medicine