Kerby Shedden is an Associate Professor of Biostatistics and an Associate Professor of Statistics in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA). He received a PhD in Statistics from UCLA in 1999. His research focuses on developing and evaluating methods for analyzing high dimensional and complex data including dimension reduction, feature extraction, modeling, and inference. In addition to basic research he also collaborates on a number of life science projects in which complex data sets arise. This includes collaborations with members of the UM Cancer Center Cancer Genetics Program and Biostatistics Core, the UM College of Pharmacy, and the UM Addiction Research and Depression centers.
- PhD, Statistics, UCLA, 1999
- B.S., Mathematics, University of Michigan, 1994
Research Interests & Projects
- One of my major interests is in statistical analysis of molecular assay data for cancer studies, such as gene expression microarray data and proteomics data from mass mapping and UV mapping. I have worked on low-level data processing such as how to convert raw fluorescence intensities into quantitative expression measurements. I have also worked on high level modeling and inference problems such as how to account for intergene correlations when doing statistical inference with microarray data, and how to detect complex interactions between gene expression levels that are associated with clinical outcomes. I am also very interested in data analysis and modeling in pharmaceutical science. This includes predictive modeling of drug activity in cells based on structures and properties of the drugs and biological properties of the target cells. This collaborative work also involves statistical analysis of fluorescent cell images to assess subcellular transport and compartmentalization of small molecules. Some of my other work includes mathematical modeling and analysis of gene and protein expression during the cell cycle, and longitudinal analysis of behavioral and psychiatric measures.
- L Tavelli, S Barootchi, F Cairo, G Rasperini, K Shedden, HL Wang. The Effect of Time on Root Coverage Outcomes: A Network Meta-Analysis. (2019) Journal of dental research 98 (11), 1195-1203.
- Kyu Han Lee, Betsy Foxman, Guillermina Kuan, Roger López, Kerby Shedden, Sophia Ng, Angel Balmaseda, Aubree Gordon. The respiratory microbiota: associations with influenza symptomatology and viral shedding. (2019) Annals of epidemiology 2019/7/31
- Lindsey B De Lott, Samantha Zerafa, Kerby Shedden, Galit Levi Dunietz, Michelle Earley, Benjamin M Segal, Tiffany J Braley. Multiple sclerosis relapse risk in the postoperative period: Effects of invasive surgery and anesthesia. (2019) Multiple Sclerosis Journal 2019/6/25
- V LaLone, M Fawaz, M Mourão, P Bradley, TH Sisson, K Shedden, A Schwendeman, K Raghavendran, TJ Standiford, GR Rosania, KA Stringer. Bioanalytical Raman Spectral Cytometry of Alveolar Macrophages for the Quantitative Study of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. (2019) D29. LUNG MULTI-OMICS TO MECHANISM, A6081-A6081
- Michael Hornstein, Roger Fan, Kerby Shedden, Shuheng Zhou. Joint mean and covariance estimation with unreplicated matrix-variate data (2019) Journal of the American Statistical Association 114 (526), 682-696.
- Andrew John Haig, Bradley Uren, Sierra Loar, Katrina Diaz, Melissa Riba, Kerby Shedden, David Share. The impact of a complex consulting process with physiatry on emergency department management of back pain (2019). The Journal of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 2.3.77
- Jessica L Mellinger, Anne Fernandez, Kerby Shedden, G Scott Winder, Robert J Fontana, Michael L Volk, Frederic C Blow, Anna SF Lok. Gender Disparities in Alcohol Use Disorder Treatment Among Privately Insured Patients with Alcohol‐Associated Cirrhosis. (2019) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 43.2 p334-341
- Kyu Han Lee, Aubree Gordon, Kerby Shedden, Guillermina Kuan, Sophia Ng, Angel Balmaseda, Betsy Foxman. The respiratory microbiome and susceptibility to influenza virus infection (2019). Public Library of Science e0207898
- Vernon Lalone, Maria V Fawaz, Jomar Morales-Mercado, Márcio Mourão, Catherine Snyder, Sang Kim, Andrew Lieberman, Anish Tuteja, Geeta Mehta, Theodore Standiford, Krishnan Raghavendran, Kerby Shedden, Anna Schwendeman, Kathleen A Stringer, Gus R Rosania. Inkjet-Printed Micro-Calibration Standards for Ultraquantitative Raman Spectral Cytometry (2019) PloS one 14 (1), e0207898
- Shih‐Hao Huang Mong‐Na Lo Huang Kerby Shedden Weng Kee Wong. Optimal group testing designs for estimating prevalence with uncertain testing errors (2016) Royal Statistical Society 78.5 p1547-1563