Eduardo Villamor's research focuses primarily on the study of child health and development with the use of epidemiologic methods. His research interests span a wide range of topics at the intersection of nutritional, perinatal, and infectious diseases epidemiology. They include studies of nutrition in child growth and development, early-life risk factors for chronic disease, and the interactions between nutrition and infection.
Villamor received his medical degree from the National University of Colombia, a Master of Public Health from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, and a doctorate in nutrition and epidemiology from Harvard. He was Assistant Professor of International Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health from 2005 until 2009, when he joined the University of Michigan. Villamor has lived and conducted research in the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. He currently serves as director of the Fogarty/LIFESPAN training program Multilevel & Lifecourse Approaches to NCD Prevention in Latin America at the University of Michigan. He is Deputy Editor of the journal Public Health Nutrition.
- EPID600: Introduction to Epidemiology
- EPID673: Epidemiology of DOHaD
- EPID662: Methods in Nutritional Epidemiology
- EPID888: Nutrition and Infectious Disease
- EPID889: Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship Seminar
- Dr.P.H. Epidemiology and Nutrition, Harvard University
- M.P.H. Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- M.D. National University of Colombia Medical School
Research Interests & Projects
- Nutrition and Lifecourse Epidemiology
- Nutrition and Infection
- Villamor E, Marin C, Mora-Plazas M, Casale M, Vargas LN, Baylin A. (2015). Cooking with soybean oil increases whole blood alpha-linolenic acid in school-age children: Results from a randomized trial Public Health Nutrition.
- Duong MC, Mora-Plazas M, Marin C, Villamor E. (2015). Vitamin B-12 deficiency in children is associated with grade repetition and school absenteeism, independent of folate, iron, zinc, or vitamin A status biomarkers Journal of Nutrition 1541-8.
- Villamor E, Bosch RJ. (2014). Optimal treatment of replicate measurements in anthropometric studies Annals of Human Biology.
- Thornton KA, Mora-Plazas M, Marin C, Villamor E. (2014). Vitamin A deficiency is associated with gastrointestinal and respiratory morbidity in school-age children Journal of Nutrition 496-503.
- Cnattingius S, Villamor E, Johansson S, Edstedt Bonamy AK, Persson M, Wikstrom AK, Granath F. (2013). Maternal obesity and risk of preterm delivery JAMA 2362-70.
- Villamor E, Marin C, Mora-Plazas M, Baylin A. (2011). Vitamin D deficiency and age at menarche: a prospective study American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1020-5.
- Villamor E, Iliadou A, Cnattingius S. (2010). Evidence for an effect of fetal growth on the risk of tuberculosis Journal of Infectious Diseases 409-13.
- Villamor E, Dekker L, Svensson T, Cnattingius S. (2010). Accuracy of the Chinese lunar calendar method to predict a baby's sex: a population-based study Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 398-400.
- Arsenault JE, Mora-Plazas M, Forero Y, Lopez-Arana S, Marin C, Baylin A, Villamor E. (2009). Provision of a school snack is associated with vitamin B-12 status, linear growth, and morbidity in children from Bogota, Colombia. Journal of Nutrition 1744-50.
- Villamor E, Cnattingius S. (2006). Interpregnancy weight change and risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes: a population-based study. Lancet 1164-70.
- Americal Society for Nutrition, ASN
- Nutrition Society
- Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, SPER
- Society for Epidemiologic Research, SER
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, ASTMH