Dr. Xi is a molecular microbiologist and microbial ecologist. His research focuses on biofilms, water quality and treatment and human health in three major inter-related areas: (A) molecular mechanisms of biofilm development; (B) characterization of biofilms and microbial community in industrial and clinical settings and its impact on human health; and (C) development of novel approaches for biofilm control. Prior to joining the faculty of the University of Michigan in 2005, he spent four years at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and received his Ph.D. from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium in 2000.
- Ph.D., Applied Biological Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2000
- M.Sc., Molecular Microbiology, Guangxi University, China, 1996
- B.Sc., Biology, Anhui Normal University, China, 1993
- Cai W, Wu J, Xi C, Meyerhoff ME. (2012). Diazeniumdiolate-doped poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid)-based nitric oxide releasing films as antibiofilm coatings. Biomaterials.
- Pinto AJ, Xi C, Raskin L. (2012). Bacterial Community Structure in the Drinking Water Microbiome Is Governed by Filtration Processes. Environ. Sci. Tech..
- Song L, Wu J, Xi C. (2012). Biofilms on environmental surfaces: Evaluation of the disinfection efficacy of a novel steam vapor system. Am J Infect Control..
- Dai D, Holder D, Raskin L, Xi C. (2011). Separation of the bacterial species, Escherichia coli, from mixed-species microbial communities for transcriptome analysis. BMC Microbiology.
- Xi, C. and J. Wu (2010). dATP/ATP, a multifunctional nucleotide, stimulates bacterial cell lysis, extracellular DNA release and biofilm development PLoS ONE e13355.
- Berry D, Holder D, Xi C, Raskin L. (2010). Comparative transcriptomics of the response of Escherichia coli to the disinfectant monochloramine and to growth conditions inducing monochloramine resistance Water Research 4924-31.
- Hodges, A.P., D. Dai, Z. Xiang, P. Woolf, C. Xi, Y. He (2010). Bayesian network expansion identifies new ROS and biofilm regulators PLoS ONE e9513. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009513.
- Xi, C., Y. Zhang, W. Ye, C. Marrs, C. Simon, B. Foxman, and J. Niragu (2009). Prevalence of Antibiotic Resistance in Drinking Water Treatment and Distribution Systems Applied and Environmental Microbiology 5714-5718.
- Wu, J. and C. Xi (2009). Evaluation of Different Methods for Extracting Extracellular DNA in Biofilm Matrix Applied and Environmental Microbiology 5390-5.
- Zhang, Y., C.F. Marrs, C. Simon, C. Xi (2009). Wastewater treatment contributes to selective increase of antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter spp. Science of the Total Envrionment 3702-3706.
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Water Works Association
- International Water Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professsors (AEESP)
- International Society of Microbial Ecology