Dr. Xi is a molecular microbiologist and microbial ecologist. His research focuses on biofilms, water quality and treatment and human health in three major inter-related areas: (A) molecular mechanisms of biofilm development; (B) characterization of biofilms and microbial community in industrial and clinical settings and its impact on human health; and (C) development of novel approaches for biofilm control. Prior to joining the faculty of the University of Michigan in 2005, he spent four years at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and received his PhD from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium in 2000.
- PhD, Applied Biological Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2000
- M.Sc., Molecular Microbiology, Guangxi University, China, 1996
- B.Sc., Biology, Anhui Normal University, China, 1993
- Doverspike JC, Zhou Y, Wu J, Tan X, Xi C and Meyerhoff E. Nitric oxide releasing two-part creams containing S-nitrosoglutathione and zinc oxide for potential topical antimicrobial applications. Nitric Oxide. 2019 Jun 3;90:1-9
- Phillips, KS, Y Wang, X Tan, and C Xi Removal of Staphylococcus aureus from skin using a combination antibiofilm approach. npj Biofilms and Microbiome. in press
- Greene, C, NH Ceron, MC Eisenberg, J Koopman, JD Miller, C Xi, and JN Eisenberg (2018).
Asymmetric transfer efficiencies between fomites and fingers: Impact on model parameterization.
American journal of infection control 2018 46 (6), 620-626
Nriagu, J, C Xi, A Siddique, A Vincent and B Shomar (2018). Influence of Household Water Filters on Bacteria Growth and Trace Metals in Tap Water of Doha, Qatar. Scientific Reports 8
- Dai, D, L Raskin and C Xi (2017) The effect of interactions between a bacterial strain isolated from drinking water and a pathogen surrogate on biofilms formation diverged under static versus flow conditions. Journal of applied microbiology 123 (6), 1614-1627
- Ren, H, J Wu, A Colletta, ME Meyerhoff and C Xi (2016). Efficient eradication of mature Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm via controlled delivery of nitric oxide combined with antimicrobial peptide and antibiotics. Frontiers in Microbiology 7:1260
- Bayliss, J, B Levi, J Wu, S Want, G Su and C Xi (2016). Apyrase elicits host antimicrobial responses and resolves infection in burns. Journal of Burn Care & Research. doi: 10.1097/BCR.0000000000000335
- Wu, J, X Wen, C Faulk, K Boehnke, H Zhang, DC Dolinoy, and C Xi (2016). Perinatal lead (Pb) exposure alters gut microbiota composition and results in sex-specific bodyweight increases in adult mice. Toxicological Sciences. doi:10.1093/toxsci/kfw046
- Greene, C, G Vadlamudi, D Newton, B Foxman and C. Xi (2016). The impact of biofilm formation and multidrug resistance on environmental survival of clinical and environmental isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii. American Journal of Infection Control. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2015.12.012
- Park SR, Tripathi A, Wu J, Schultz PJ, Yim I, McQuade TJ, Yu F, Arevang CJ, Mensah AY, Tamayo-Castillo G, Xi C and Sherman DH (2016). .Discovery of cahuitamycins as biofilm inhibitors derived from a convergent biosynthetic pathway. Nature Communications. 16;7:10710
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Water Works Association
- International Water Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professsors (AEESP)
- International Society of Microbial Ecology