2006 - present Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan.
2000 - 2006 Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health,
University of Michigan.
2000 Research Assistant Professor, Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
1995 - 2000 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
1984 - 1991, Associate director of Bacterial Vaccine Department, Chengdu Institute of Biological Products, Ministry of Public Health, China.
1982 -1984 Research Associate, Department of Quality Control, Chengdu Institute of Biological Products, Ministry of Public Health, China
Dr. Yang is also a faculty member of the Interdisciplinary Program in Infectious Diseases Training Grant and a member of the Center for Molecular and Clinical Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases of the University of Michigan. Currently, she is also a member of the Health Sciences and Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review Board of the Univeristy of Michigan.
- M.D., , North Sichuan Medical College, China, 1981
- Fellowship, Vaccinology, State Serum Institute, Denmark, 1982-84
- Certificate of French, , Beijing Language Institute, China, 1990
- Fellowship, Genetics and Biology of Microorganisms, University of Lausanne, Switzerland, 1991
- Ph.D., Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, Copenhagen University, Denmark, 1995
Research Interests & Projects
- Assess the factors influencing the occurrence, distribution, and transmission of drug-sensitive and drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains.
- Assess the impact of delayed diagnosis on TB incidence trends and predictors for the delay in TB diagnosis.
- Assess the factors predicting default of TB treatment.
- Assess the factors affecting the pathogenesis and outcome of M. tuberculosis infection.
- Characterization of pediatric TB and pediatric TB/HIV coinfection.
- Biomarkers for pediatric pulmonary TB diagnosis in HIV infected and non-infected children.
- Molecular markers for the detection of drug resistant M. tuberculosis.
- Joint impact of host and pathogen genetic variations on the development of new TB vaccine.
Guo, Q., Pan, Y., Yang, Z. (co-corresponding author), Liu, R., Xing, L., Peng, Z., Zhu, C. Epidemiology and Clinical Characteristics of Pediatric Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis in Chongqing, China. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 9;11(3):e0151303. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151303. eCollection 2016. PMID: 26959480
Noppert, G., Yang, Z., Sandy ,C., Chirenda, J. Trends of sputum-smear positive tuberculosis in Zimbabwe: 2008-2011. BMC Res Notes. 2015 Oct 16;8:575. doi: 10.1186/s13104-015-1568-z. PMID: 26475610
Pan, Y., Yang, Z. (co-corresponding author), Liu, R., Xing, L., Peng, Z., Zhu, C. Host and Microbial Predictors of Childhood Extrathoracic Tuberculosis and Tuberculosis Meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015 Aug 1. PMID:26237743
Zhang, X., Andersen, A., Lillebaek, T., Kamper-Jørgensen, Z., Thomsen, VØ., Ladefoged, K., Marrs, C.F., Zhang, L., and Yang, Z.H. (April, 2011). Do gender, age, origin affect clinical presentation of tuberculosis? A 15 year population-based study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Agarwal, M., Gunal, S., Durmaz, R., Yang, Z. (2010). Integration of Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug susceptibility testing and genotyping with epidemiological data analysis to gain insight into the epidemiology of drug resistant tuberculosis epidemiology in Malatya, Turkey. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 3301-5..
- McNamara LA, He Y, Yang Z (March, 2010). Using epitope predictions to evaluate efficacy and population coverage of the Mtb72f vaccine for tuberculosis BMC Immunology.
- Sheline, K.D., France, A.M., Talarico, S., Foxman, B., Zhang, L., Marrs, C.F., Bates, J.H., Cave, M.D., Yang, Z. (March, 2009). Does the lipR gene of tubercle bacilli have a role in tuberculosis transmission and pathogenesis? Tuberculosis 114-9.
- Hebert, A., Talarico, S., Yang, D., Marrs, C.F., Zhang, L.X., Foxman, B., Yang, Z.H. (December, 2007). DNA Polymorphisms of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pepA and PPE18 genes among clinical strains: Implications for vaccine efficacy. Infection and Immunity 5798-805.
- Talarico, S., Cave, M.D., Foxman, B., Marrs, C.F., Zhang, L., Bates, J.H., Yang, Z. (July, 2007). Association of Mycobacterium tuberculosis PE_PGRS33 Polymorphism with clinical and epidemiological characteristics. Tuberculosis 338-46.
- France, A.F., Cave, M.D., Bates, J., Yang, Z.H. (September, 2007). What's driving the decline of incidence of tuberculosis in Arkansas? A molecular epidemiologic analysis of tuberculosis rends in a rural, low-incidence population. American Journal of Epidemiology 622-71.
- Yang, Z, Yang, D., Kong, Y., Zhang, L., Marrs, C. F., Foxman, B., Bates, J.H., Wilson, F., and Cave, M.D. (June, 2005). Clinical relevance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis plcD gene mutations. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 1436-42.
- Member, American Society for Microbiology
- Member, American Public Health Association
- International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease