Kara Zivin, PhD, M.S., M.A.
- Professor of Psychiatry
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Professor, Health Management and Policy
- University of Michigan School of Public Health
- Faculty Associate
- Survey Research Center
- Institute for Social Research
- Research Scientist
- Center for Clinical Management Research (CCMR)
- VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
- North Campus Research Complex
- 2800 Plymouth Rd., Bldg. 16, Room 228W
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2800
Dr. Zivin's research applies quantitative and qualitative methods to mental health services and policy with a focus on: 1) impact of health policies on diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes of behavioral health conditions (mental health and substance use); 2) predictors and health outcomes including mortality associated with treatment of behavioral health conditions in vulnerable populations, including women in the perinatal period, older adults, and Veterans; 3) bidirectional relationships between depression and employment outcomes including burnout, productivity, disability, and retirement; 4) cost-effectiveness of behavioral health treatment, particularly in primary care and specialty mental health settings (integrated care); and 5) longitudinal assessments of depression status and treatment adherence in large clinical, epidemiological, and population based studies.
- PhD, Harvard University, 2004
- MS, Harvard School of Public Health, 2003
- MA, Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies, 1998
- BA, Johns Hopkins University, 1997
- Admon LK, Winkelman TNA, Zivin K, Terplan M, Mhyre JM, Dalton VK. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Incidence of Severe Maternal Morbidity in the United States, 2012-2015. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2018;132(5):1158-1166.
- Ross EL, Zivin K, Maixner DF. Cost-effectiveness of Electroconvulsive Therapy vs Pharmacotherapy/Psychotherapy for Treatment-Resistant Depression in the United States. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018;75(7):713-722.
- Zivin K, White JO, Chao S, et al. Implementing Electronic Health Record Default Settings to Reduce Opioid Overprescribing: A Pilot Study. Pain Medicine. 2019;20(1):103-112.
- Gerlach LB, Stano C, Yosef M, Kim HM, Zivin K. Assessing Responsiveness of Health Systems to Drug Safety Warnings. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2017;25(3):S107-S108.
- Zivin K, Miller BF, Finke B, et al. Behavioral Health and the Comprehensive Primary Care (CPC) Initiative: findings from the 2014 CPC behavioral health survey. BMC health services research. 2017;17(1):612.
- Zivin K, Sen A, Plegue MA, et al. Comparative Effectiveness of Wellness Programs: Impact of Incentives on Healthcare Costs for Obese Enrollees. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2017;52(3):347-352.
- Zivin K, Katon W. Further policy changes are needed to improve depression care. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2015;37(4):368-369.
- Zivin K, Pfeiffer PN, Bohnert AS, et al. Evaluation of the FDA warning against prescribing citalopram at doses exceeding 40 mg. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;170(6):642-650.