Student Information

All School of Public Health students who will have completed their degree requirements before or during Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or Summer 2021 terms are welcome to participate in both the School of Public Health Virtual Graduation Ceremony on April 29, 2021, and the university-wide Virtual Spring Commencement on May 1, 2021.

Students receiving a PhD or MS degree may also be eligible to participate in the (Rackham) University Graduate Exercises on TBD.

  • To receive a degree, all students must "Apply for Graduation" through Wolverine Access by April 21.  Details on how to apply for graduation can be found in the Applying for Graduation tile.

Please use the following navigation steps below to apply for graduation in Wolverine Access:

  1. Go to
  2. Click on the Students tab.
  3. Click on the Student Business link.
  4. Log in with Uniqname and Kerberos password.
  5. Click on the Student Center.
  6. Under the Academics Section, look for the drop down and it will say "Other academic..."
  7. Click on the arrow pointing down in this field.
  8. If you are eligible to apply for graduation, the Academic Program(s) will be listed on the “Apply for Graduation” page. If the correct academic program, degree, major, concentration, or minor is not displayed, contact 
  9. Hover over the icon with the double arrows pointing to the right. Click it.
  10. Select the Academic Program in which you are applying for graduation by clicking on the hyperlink.
  11. Choose your expected graduation term from the drop down menu. If the expected graduation term does not appear, contact
  12. Make any changes in how you want your name to appear on the diploma and click “Continue.”
  13. Enter optional information on familial alumni relations to the University. Once you have entered all of the information you would like to submit, click “Continue.”
  14. Click “Submit Application.”

If you are a certificate and/or dual degree student, it is important that you apply for graduation from each program separately. Applying for one program will not automatically create an application for any other program.

Dual degree students:. All degree requirements for both academic units must be fulfilled in order to graduate. Both degrees are awarded simultaneously. If requirements for either degree are not met, neither degree will be awarded.


If you are completing one or more minors, please contact your minor department(s) to request a minor release. If your minor department has released your minor, we will process the minor releases along with our graduation application after your final term. You will see this reflected in your final transcript in May.

Next Steps

Once you've applied for graduation and your minor release has been submitted (if applicable), an official degree audit will be sent to you via email. The email subject will be "major release" however this email will act as your official audit and it will indicate your remaining degree requirements (i.e. public health credits, upper-level elective credits, total credits, etc.). An advising appointment is not required to complete the official audit. Jillian McConville is available to meet with you if you have any questions (set up an appointment (set up an appointment). 

Diplomas for Winter 2021 term graduates will be mailed by mid-July to the diploma address students have specified in Wolverine Access. Diplomas for Summer 2021 term graduates will be mailed by mid-November.

Name Change on Diploma

In order to change your name, add your middle name, or middle initial to your diploma, you will need to add it to your academic record. Once your name is updated on your academic record, you will be able to log into Wolverine Access to access your graduation application and add the updated name to appear on the diploma. Wednesday, April 21, 2021 is the deadline to make this change.This can be done two ways:

  1. by personally visiting the Central Registrar's Wolverine Services Office and providing legal proof of your name (e.g., driver's license, birth certificate, passport, etc.). Their contact information is below. You will need to bring a photo ID with you for this process.
  2. by sending a copy of your legal proof of your name (e.g., driver's license, birth certificate, passport, etc.) via e-mail to Be sure to provide a clear explanation of what changes you want to make. 

Wolverine Services - Central Campus
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan
2200 Student Activities Building (SAB)
515 E. Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
Office 734-647-3507
Fax 734-763-9053

The hours of operations are from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.

Please be sure to have your MCard with you when visiting the Wolverine Services Office.

Degrees with distinction are awarded on the basis of rank in class. Undergraduate students who have completed at least 58 credits in residence, at least 45 of which are "graded" (A+ to D-), and rank in the top five percent of their class are recommended for a degree "with Highest Distinction." Those students who rank in the top 10 percent of their class but not in the top five percent are recommended for a degree "with High Distinction." Those students who rank in the top 25 percent of their class but not in the top 10 or 5 percent are recommended for a degree "with Distinction." A notation is made on the diploma and the transcript.

The GPA ranges for the distinction are determined at the end of each May based on the cumulative GPAs of the School’s Winter term class of graduating bachelor’s degree students. Estimated GPA ranges are based on the fall term grades of the first graduating class, and those ranges are noted below. The range changes each year based on the graduating class so the ranges below should only be used as an estimate:

  • Highest Distinction = 3.945 – 4.000
  • High Distinction = 3.923 – 3.944
  • Distinction = 3.795 – 3.922

Students who will graduate with distinction may wear maize cords to indicate this achievement. There are no honor cords specific to each grade-point-average distinction level. Honor cords may be purchased at stores selling academic attire.

If you have any questions about graduation, please e-mail Thank you.