Our residency training program offers two tracks (both tracks are 2-years in duration): MPH degree or Practicum-only (for applicants that already have a MPH degree). Basic requirements for admission are listed below:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents only (funding source precludes non-US citizens)
- Graduation from an accredited medical school (United States, accredited Canadian programs, or equivalent as outlined by the American Board of Preventive Medicine)
- Completion of at least one year of post-graduate medical training in an ACGME-approved clinical training program in the United States or Canada
- Successful completion of USMLE Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3
- Admission to an academic department within the School of Public Health (for MPH degree): Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology (preferred track), Health Behavior and Health Education, or Health Management and Policy. Please visit the 'Specific application instructions for the PMR program' section on this website for further details
- The first step in applying to our program is to complete the online GME application. The GME application applies to both MPH degree applicants and Practicum-only applicants. We do accept ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) applications; however, the online GME application is still a requirement. You may also access the application with the following QR Code:
- For applicants applying for the MPH program: The School of Public Health requires a SOPHAS application for the MPH program; however, we recommend that you do not submit your SOPHAS application until prompted to do so by the PMR Office. When prompted, you will apply directly to the School of Public Health in one of the following departments: Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology (preferred track), Health Behavior and Health Education, or Health Management and Policy. Be sure to indicate your interest in the PMR program by providing the statement "Applicant for the Preventive Medicine Residency Program" on the first line of the Statement of Purpose section on your SOPHAS application for admission to the SPH. Notify the PMR Office when you have submitted the SPH Application in SOPHAS at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For applicants applying for the Practicum-only program: You are only required to submit the online GME application.
- Applications can be submitted starting in September for the following July PMR start (September 2022 for July 2023 start).
- Complete the Residency Verification Form found below and send to your PD for signature. The verification form, official transcripts and official M-CAT and USMLE scores should be e-mailed to the Preventive Medicine Residency at email@example.com
- Residency Verification Form
Our residency program will NOT participate in the GPM/PH Standardized Acceptance Process (SAP) for 2023. For more information about SAP, please visit the ACPM website.
General residency information can be found at the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.