Basic requirements for PMR admission
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents only (funding source precludes non-US citizens)
- Graduation from an accredited medical school (United States, accredited Canadian programs, or equivalent as outlined by the American Board of Preventive Medicine)
- Completion of at least one year of post-graduate medical training in an ACGME-approved clinical training program in the United States or Canada
- Successful completion of USMLE Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3
- Admission to an academic department within the School of Public Health (for MPH degree): Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Behavior and Health Education, or Health Management and Policy. For applicants that already have an MPH degree, please contact the program for further information. Application information may be found at www.sph.umich.edu/admissions-aid/applications-deadlines.html
- Selection by the PMR Admission's Committee (applications of students admitted to an SPH academic department will be forwarded to the PMR Office for review if you have specified interest in the residency)
Specific application instructions for PMR programs
- Please note: we do not use ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service).
- The first step of your application should be to email firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest, your CV, and brief background.
- In order to be considered for the residency, you must apply directly to the School of Public Health. (MPH Application) Be sure to indicate your interest in the PMR program by providing the statement "Applicant for the Preventive Medicine Residency Program" on the first line of the Statement of Purpose section on your SOPHAS application for admission to the SPH.
- Applications can be submitted starting in September for the following July PMR start (September 2017 for July 2018 start). The SPH academic departments admit students on a rolling basis once application deadlines have passed.
- Notify the PMR Office once your SPH Application has been submitted in SOPHAS at: email@example.com
- Complete and submit the two forms below along with a CV and official M-CAT and USMLE scores to the Preventive Medicine Residency Program Office:
Other application information
Our residency program will not be part of the GPM/PH Standardized Acceptance Process (SAP) for 2018. For more information about SAP, please visit http://www.prevmedsap.org/ or view documentation on the ACPM website.
General residency information can be found at the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education.
Admissions information for international applicants can be found here: https://sph.umich.edu/admissions-aid/international-applicants.html
School of Public Health Application information may be requested from:
Office for Student Engagement and Practice
University of Michigan
School of Public Health
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029
(734) 763-5455 (fax)
For applicants that currently hold a MPH degree, please complete and submit the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please note with exception of admission to an academic department, all "Basic requirements for PMR admission" still apply to Practicum-only applicants.