Erica Jansen, PhD
- 3863 SPH I
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029
Dr. Jansen is a nutritional epidemiologist who focuses on diet and sleep in relation to pediatric health. She has several lines of research, including the examination of: 1) how early nutritional environments affect childhood obesity and timing of puberty; 2) how various aspects of sleep- including duration, timing, and quality- affect development of cardiometabolic risk; 3) the bidirectional associations between sleep and diet; and 4) epigenetic markers or mediators that underlie relationships between sleep and cardiometabolic health.
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2016
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2014
- BS, Biology, Hope College, 2012
- Jansen EC, Dunietz GL, Tsimpanouli M, Guyer HM, Shannon C, Hershner SD, O'Brien LM, Baylin A. Sleep, Diet, and Cardiometabolic Health Investigations: A Systematic Review of Analytic Strategies. Curr Nutr Reports. 2018 Dec;7(4):235-258.
- Jansen EC, Dunietz GL, Chervin RD, Baylin A, Baek J, Banker M, Song PX, Cantoral A, Tellez Rojo MM, Peterson KE. Adiposity in Adolescents: the Interplay of Sleep Duration and Sleep Variability. J Pediatr. 2018 Dec; 203:309-316.
- Jansen EC, Dunietz GL, Felt B, O'Brien L. Sleep and Gastrointestinal Symptoms in a Community-based Survey of Children. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2018 Nov;57(13):1515-1522.
- Jansen EC, Zhou L, Perng W, Song PXK, Tellez-Rojo MM, Mercado A, Peterson KE, Cantoral A. Vegetable and lean proteins -based and processed meat and refined grains -based dietary patterns in early childhood are associated with pubertal timing in a sex-specific manner: a prospective study of children from Mexico City. Nutr Res. 2018: Aug; 56: 41-50.
- Jansen EC, Kasper N, Lumeng JC, Brophy Herb HE, Horodynski MA, Miller AL, Contreras D, Peterson KE. Changes in household food insecurity in relation to concurrent changes in adiposity and dietary quality among Michigan Head Start preschoolers. Soc Sci Med. 2017 May;181:168-176.
- Jansen EC, Marin C, Mora-Plazas M, Villamor E. Higher Childhood Red Meat Intake is Associated with Earlier Age at Menarche. J Nutr 2016; 146 (4): 792-798.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- US DOHaD Society