Prospective Student Funding Guide

Quick Links

Financing your education at the University of Michigan School of Public Health is an investment in a better future. We understand how important financial considerations are in your decision to pursue a graduate degree, and we partner with our students—from a wide range of income levels—to help them identify resources and opportunities that will support their needs and academic success.

A variety of types of assistance are available to help you cover your costs—federal loans, work-study positions, scholarships, fellowships, graduate student instructorships, graduate student research assistantships, full-time and temporary employment, and private sources.

Financial Aid 

The University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid (OFA) provides the main source of funds for financing your graduate education. This office provides need-based assistance in the form of federal loans and College Work Study. If you think you will need financial help to attend the School of Public Health, you can apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The University of Michigan Federal School Code for the FAFSA is 002325.


Complete the FAFSA Form           

Financial Aid Timeline

Please note there are several deadlines for processing certain financial aid forms. Below are the main deadlines for students applying for standard financial aid packages.

March 15 Deadline: Complete and update "My Scholarship Profile"  March 31 Deadline: For Students Entering Fall Term December 15 Deadline: For Students Entering Winter Term
Entering and continuing students should complete and/or update "My Scholarship Profile" by March 15 to ensure full consideration for scholarships for the upcoming academic year. The FAFSA and the CSS Profile (undergrads) must be submitted by the deadline of March 31 in order for students to be considered for all available forms of aid. It is suggested that students complete the FAFSA and Profile before March 1. If a student is Entering the University in the Winter term, they should complete the current year FAFSA and CSS Profile (undergrads) at the time they apply for admission.  Admissions staff will notify students by email if additional documents or information are required.

Sources of Funding


  • Federal Loans: Filling out the FAFSA (see above) is the first step in receiving federal student aid. Loans are borrowed funds which must be repaid with interest after you are no longer a student. Some federal loans are awarded to students on the basis of need (Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Subsidized Loans). Need-based loans allow students to defer paying interest on these loans while they are enrolled at least half-time. Other federal loans are non-need based (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans). Students borrowing from non-need based loan programs may defer interest on these loans while they are enrolled in school.
  • Private, Non-Need-Based Loans: A number of private, non-need-based programs are available to students. In most cases, however, the interest rates available through federal programs are lower than the rates for private loan programs.

Work-Related Funding 

  • Work Study: Students who apply for need-based aid through the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid may be eligible for work-study funding as part of their need-based financial aid package. Your financial aid package from the university must include a work-study grant in order for you to be eligible to apply for work-study positions on campus. A work-study award gives eligible students the opportunity to earn funds from part-time work for employers who qualify for the Work-Study Program under federal or state guidelines. The Student Employment Office in the Student Activities Building posts work-study positions and others for students. These positions range in type and location, but include office assistants and research assistants.
  • Graduate Student Instructor (GSI)/Graduate Student Staff Assistant (GSSA): Graduate students can also apply to be Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) or Graduate Student Staff Assistants (GSSAs) for undergraduate courses. GSIs receive full tuition, health coverage, and an additional monthly living stipend, though most GSIs are doctoral students.
  • Graduate Student Research Assistantship (GSRA): Similar to GSI positions, Graduate Student Research Assistantships (GSRAs) provide tuition waivers, stipend, and health insurance. Although Michigan Public Health does have some opportunities for students to conduct research, formal GSRA positions are few in number, mostly reserved for doctoral students, and typically offered to students who have been in the school for at least one year. Students can seek out GSRA positions across the university at any department that might offer opportunities for research. Individual faculty members serving as principal investigators on research projects most often offer GSRA positions. Students should attempt to identify appropriate faculty with research interests similar to their own and contact that faculty member directly.
  • Student Employment: Many students seek part-time positions at the University of Michigan and in the surrounding community. University of Michigan job postings are available online, and openings support online applications. Learn more and see additional postings via the University of Michigan Student Employment Office.

Funding Outside the School of Public Health

Because costs vary, finding funding requires a non-linear, multi-pronged approach—rather than a one-time event, funding is an ongoing consideration. The University of Michigan Library has an excellent SPH Funding Library Guide online resource tailored specifically to public health students that categorizes funding opportunities, databases, and fellowships for Michigan Public Health students, including at organizations and centers within the University of Michigan (and at many outside of it). Below are additional resources for helping you identify funding opportunities at the University of Michigan and beyond.

International Student Funding

Before we can send you the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” (this document is used in obtaining an F-1 visa to enter the United States), you must provide the documentation listed below to Admissions. Note that the University of Michigan is required by U.S. government regulations to obtain documentation proving that you have adequate financial resources for your expenses and the expenses of your dependents. You are required to certify the availability of sufficient funds in the form of bank statements and/or proof of support from a sponsor. Additional visa and travel information is located on the International Center website.

You must certify sufficient funds to cover the estimated expenses for one year of program study. All documents must be in English or an English translation must accompany the original.

If you are having your tuition paid by a sponsor, please make sure your sponsor(s) is aware of the two year length of the MPH/MHSA. programs and that their commitment and support is for the potential duration of the program and not just the initial I-20 request.

Other Helpful Resources