International Student Support

International students are an important part of the Michigan Public Health community providing valuable perspectives and contributions.

There are a variety of services and resources available across the University of Michigan campus to help support international students during their time in Ann Arbor. 

Support at Michigan Public Health 

If you are an International student at the School of Public Health and are seeking support or have questions, please contact Dani Koel, Student Life Program Specialist, at

Are you interested in receiving information about International Student resources and events at the University of Michigan and School of Public Health? If so, please add your name to our community. This is an open document so you're able to add or remove your name at any time.  

University Support

The University of Michigan offices and organizations listed here are able to provide the best advice and help needed to answer international student questions.

The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty, and staff at the University of Michigan. The International Student and Scholar Services team serves as a key resource to the U-M community in the following ways:

    • Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and university departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories
    • Recommends and approves immigration benefits
    • Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    • Advises on adjustment to United States society and American culture, academic concerns, and community resources
    • Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
    • Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments
  • Campus Information Centers (CIC)

The Campus Information Centers serve as the comprehensive information and referral source and provide accurate and timely information about campus resources, facilities, services, procedures, and events. CIC also coordinates the online university events calendar, Happening@Michigan, and the online listing of all departments and organizations.

The English Language Institute (ELI) is an independent unit offering credit-bearing courses within the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. The ELI offers a variety of courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for nonnative speakers of English enrolled at and visiting the University of Michigan. The courses are designed to enable students to enhance their linguistic and communicative skills in order to become effective, fully participating members of the academic community both during their time on campus and beyond. Approximately 80% of ELI’s students are graduate students, with the remainder comprised of undergraduates and visiting scholars. ELI courses are taken concurrently with other courses.