Certificate in Global Health
If you are interested in pursuing the Certificate in Global Health, please determine your eligibility and review the certification process.
List of Approved Courses and Competencies
The Global Health Graduate Certificate offers a robust menu of course options.
View the complete course and competency list.
- All students: Must take PH554 and 12 additional credits. Taking PH554 during the first year is preferred.
- SPH MPH/MHSA Students: Must take at least 2 SPH courses outside their home department. (In addition to PH554)
- SPH MS (Administered by Rackham): Must take at least 2 SPH courses. (In addition to PH554)
- Non-SPH students: Must take at least 2 SPH courses. (In addition to PH554)
- All students: May count up to 2 non-SPH courses towards the certificate.
- All students: Must achieve a grade of B (3.0) or higher in each certificate course.
- All students: Must complete at least one course aligned with Competency 1. (In addition to PH554)
- All students: Must complete courses addressing at least three of Competencies 2-6. (In addition to PH554)
- All students: Must have attended at least 2 OGPH lectures, discussions, or workshops per term (or 8 events over two years).
Keep track of your progress with our Global Health Certificate Completion Form.
Upon completion of the SPH Certificate in Global Health students will have acquired experience in a minimum of four of the following competencies:
- Understand definitions, concepts, and principles of the evolving concept of global health, and the policies and processes that underlie its historic development and contemporary context;
- Recognize how recent cultural, political-economic, and environmental trends shape health both locally and globally;
- Effectively utilize the many global health data sets available in the public domain;
- Characterize local, regional and global patterns of health and disease;
- Develop appropriate global health interventions (e.g. policies and programs), and evaluate their impact;
- Demonstrate the capacity to value and promote health equity, human rights, and social and environmental justice
How to get started:
Interested in pursuing the Graduate Certificate in Global Health? Please refer to the Certification Process page for next steps. Interested students are encouraged to meet with their advisor to ensure appropriate course planning.
Many students in the Certificate program opt to fulfill their departmental internship requirement through an international placement. Each student will have the opportunity to work with their advisor to design and secure their internship project. In addition, SPH offers more than $190,000 each summer in scholarship awards to students interning or conducting research abroad, and support is available through a number of other UM offices and Programs. Students traveling internationally are required to abide by the University's travel policies including registering trip itinerary in the Travel Registry and purchasing HTH Travel Abroad health insurance. Start your search early to ensure you gather enough information to develop a strong funding proposal.
For Further Information:
Contact the Certificate Program Coordinator at SPH.Certificate.Inquiries@umich.edu or call 734-615-4308.