Certificate in Global Health
If you are interested in pursuing the Certificate in Global Health, please determine your eligibility and review the certification process.
Students must complete 13 credits in global health by selecting from the list of approved courses. Courses used to fulfill the Certificate must meet the following requirements:
- All students are required to take PH 554, preferably during the first semester of their first year. Any exceptions to this timing require require pre-approval from the Office of Global Public Health or Office for Student Engagement and Practice;
- Students must complete at least one course aligned with Competency 1. This may not include PH 554;
- Students must complete courses addressing at least three of Competencies 2-6. These may not include PH 554;
- Students must complete courses in at least two SPH Departments outside the students' home department. These may not include PH 554;
- Students must achieve a grade of B (3.0) or higher in each course used to fulfill the Certificate requirements;
- Students must attend at least two OGPH programs or events per term (4 events over 2 years), which can include lectures, discussions, or workshops
Upon completion of the SPH Certificate in Global Health students will have acquired experience in a minimum of four the following competencies:
- Understand definitions, concepts, and principles of the evolving concept of global health, and the policies and processes that underlie its historic development and contemporary context;
- Recognize how recent cultural, political-economic, and environmental trends shape health both locally and globally;
- Effectively utilize the many global health data sets available in the public domain;
- Characterize local, regional and global patterns of health and disease;
- Develop appropriate global health interventions (e.g. policies and programs), and evaluate their impact;
- Demonstrate the capacity to value and promote health equity, human rights, and social and environmental justice
For a listing of available global health courses and competencies addressed, see the Certificate in Global Health Completion Form.
Many students in the Certificate program opt to fulfill their departmental internship requirement through an international placement. Each student will have the opportunity to work with their advisor to design and secure their internship project. In addition, SPH offers more than $190,000 each summer in scholarship awards to students interning or conducting research abroad, and support is available through a number of other UM offices and Programs. Students traveling internationally are required to abide by the University's travel policies including registering trip itinerary in the Travel Registry and purchasing HTH Travel Abroad health insurance. Start your search early to ensure you gather enough information to develop a strong funding proposal.
Declare Your Intent:
To declare your intent to participate in the Global Health Certificate program, please fill out the Declaration Form.
When ready to graduate, please submit the Certificate in Global Health Completion Form. This form triggers an audit in the system. Once your completion form has been reviewed and approved, your certificate will be marked as complete on your transcript at the same time your degree is conferred.
For Further Information:
Contact the Supplemental Certificate Program Coordinator at email@example.com or 734-615-4308.