What We Do
We collaborate with Cancer Center investigators in cancer related research. We are involved in all stages of the research process, from the design stage, through data analysis to scientific interpretation. We also participate in the Protocol Review Committee, the Quality Assurance Committee, the Data Safety and Monitoring Board, the Clinical and Translational Research Allocation Committee and the Cancer Research Committee.
Our specific aims are:
- To collaborate with Cancer Center investigators on the design of experiments and observational studies
- To provide statistical analysis and interpretation of scientific data
- To consult with Cancer Center investigators on statistical issues
- To undertake methodological research which will lead to improved methods for the design and analysis of data related to cancer research
We provide several services, including:
- Design of clinical trials
- Design of observational studies
- Design of laboratory experiments
- Review of protocols
- Statistical data analysis
- Statistical computing
- Development of statistical methods
- Instruction in statistical methods
- Advice with database issues
- Assistance with grant applications
We collaborate with scientists in many areas of the cancer center, including:
- Clinical research
- Pre-clinical research
- Laboratory based research
Recent examples of our work include:
- Analyzed gene expression data and related it to patient survival in lung cancer.
- Developed a calculator for predicting disease progression following radiation therapy for prostate cancer.
- Developed a biomarker index for predicting GVHD in patients treated with Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- Analyzed data from population based cancer registry to study ethnic disparities in patterns of cancer care and outcomes.
- Designed Phase I trials using the TITE-CRM approach.
- Analyzed data from tissue microarrays in breast and head and neck cancer.
- Identified key pathways using expression data.
- Created diagnostic classifiers using small numbers of mRNA or protein assays.
- Analyzed gene expression data for over-representation of transcription factor and miRNA targets.
- Analyzed observational data for contralateral breast cancer incidence.
- Investigating quality of life outcomes following radiation for prostate cancer.
- Methodological research to evaluate improvements in phase I designs.
- Assisted in grant applications concerned with the evaluation of:
- Radiation research in intrahepatic cancer
- Genetic factors for osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with metastatic cancer.
- Molecular markers in head and neck cancer
- Skeletal bone biology and prostate cancer
- Pain with Aromatose Inhibitor therapy for women with breast cancer.