From PBB to PFAS: Research and Action to Address Michigan’s Large Scale Chemical Contaminations
Symposium to Facilitate Community-Researcher Collaborations featuring Linda Birnbaum (former NIEHS Director)
February 20, 2020
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Michigan League (Univ of MI)
Sponsored by: School of Public Health, MI Ctr on Lifestage Environmental Exposures & Disease, CMU Dept of History, Emory Univ HERCULES Exposome Research Ctr, MI Institute for Clinical & Health Research, We the People, UM Graham Sustainability Institute
Contact Information: Meredith McGehee (email@example.com | 647-0819)
Cost: Free (but registration is required)
The PBB to PFAS Symposium will provide a unique venue for fostering collaboration between researchers and community members with:
- Keynote address by Dr. Linda Birnbaum (former Director NIEHS);
- Presentations by community residents and academic researchers working on PBB and PFAS health impacts;
- Breakout groups focused on strategies for building effective community-academic collaborations;
- ADDITIONAL SPEAKERS: Michele Marcus, PhD, Emory University’s Michigan PBB Registry; Jane Keon, Pine River Superfund Citizen Task Force; Francis Spaniola, former Michigan State Representative; Tony Spaniola, JD, creator Michigan Cancer Registry; Courtney Carignan, PhD, Michigan State University; Monica Lewis-Patrick, President & CEO, River Network and We The People of Detroit
- COMMUNITY PANELISTS: Sandy Wynn-Stelt, Rockford; Theresa Landrum, Detroit; Lawrence Reynolds, Flint; Donele Wilkins, Detroit; Tim Neyer, Mt. Pleasant
- MORE SPEAKERS AND BREAKOUT SESSIONS TO BE ANNOUNCED.
- Keynote address by Dr. Birnbaum will be livestreamed.
- a UM Earth Day at 50 event.