Graduates participating in any University of Michigan graduation ceremonies must wear official U-M academic attire. There are 3 ways to obtain academic attire:
1. You may purchase your attire when you register to participate in graduation, or
follow this link
April 9, 2022 is the deadline to order to ship directly to your home. You must pay the shipping fee of $13.95.
2. Order from Barnes and Noble at the Pierpont Commons University of Michigan Bookstore
Located at 2101 Bonisteel Blvd. Store hours are 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Friday, and 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Call 734-668-6022 with questions.
3. Utilize the SPH Cap and Gown Re-use Program
The Public Health Sustainability Initiative (PHSI) runs a cap and gown re-use program so that SPH students can rent a graduation cap, gown, and hood!
Complete this Google Form to sign up to participate. PHSI will update graduates about availability and pick-up/return details.
Rentals costs are:
Graduation Gowns: Rental fee= $40.00, Deposit = $30.00
Graduation Caps: Rental fee= $10.00, Deposit = $5.00
Graduation Hoods: Rental fee = $30.00, Deposit = $20.00
Gown + Cap + Hood: Rental fee = $80.00, Deposit = $55.00
This is a rental program, therefore if there is any part of the graduation attire that you would like to keep and/or decorate please purchase those items separately from this program. Upon return of the rented items you will be given back the deposit portion of the rental fee. Failure to return items rented in the condition in which they were rented forfeits the deposit.
- There are limited rentals and sizes available, so contact PHSI early! It's first-come, first-served.
- Cash or Venmo (@umphsi) only please.
- Students will need to buy their own tassels.
- PHSI also accepts donations of caps and gowns from graduated students.
- For questions, please contact Jesse Martinez-Kratz (jessemk).
Graduates should have their gown steamed/ironed prior to graduation day. At the very least, it is suggested that graduates remove the gown from the package to allow the wrinkles to settle.
To ensure that you purchase the correct hood, please note your hood color:
|MHI||health informatics||silver grey|
Faculty members: Instructions for ordering academic attire can be found on the Faculty Information page. Please note the Friday, April 1 deadline for obtaining if you do not have your own attire.