Guest and Travel Information

Tickets & Seating

Tickets are NOT required for guests attending the School of Public Health Graduation Ceremony. There is no limit on the number of guests who can attend. However, students must register the number of guests attending the School of Public Health Graduation Ceremony AND reception when they complete the online registration form to participate in the School of Public Health Graduation Ceremony.

During the ceremony at Elbel Field, face coverings are encouraged. For anyone entering the Coliseum building before or after the ceremony, face coverings are also suggested.

Doors will open to guests at 1:00 p.m. Seating for graduation is general admission, Guests are requested to remain seated throughout the program. For guests with disabilities, please see the next section.

The ceremony is scheduled to take place on Elbel Field, rain or shine. In the event of severe weather, the ceremony may be shortened, suspended, or concluded. In the case of light rain or other non-severe weather, the ceremony will continue as planned. Please note, umbrellas are not permitted to avoid interference with the site-lines of other guests, but raincoats and ponchos are allowed.

Please note, tickets ARE required for the University of Michigan Spring Commencement for both graduates and guests.

Guests with Disabilities

The University of Michigan (UM) wants to ensure that all graduates, candidates, and guests can participate fully in graduation. The following arrangements are made in cooperation with the Accessibility Task Force of the Council for Disability Concerns.

Ushers will be available to assist in locating wheelchair-accessible seating and restrooms for guests. Please contact if you have any questions regarding your guests' needs. A sign language interpreter and captioning will be present.

All requests for accommodations should be made by April 11, 2022. This request can be made two ways: by e-mailing or by filling out the information in the School of Public Health Graduation Registration site.

Visa Information for International Guests

Family members, who are not the children or spouse of the F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor, must apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa to gain entry into the U.S. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to travel to the U.S. to visit for stays of up to 90 days without obtaining a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program.

The University of Michigan will provide a letter of invitation to assist guests of graduates who are applying for a visa to attend their student's commencement ceremony.

To obtain a letter, please follow these steps:

  1. Prior to submitting a request for a letter of invitation, apply for graduation.
  2. Visit the International Center website for an overview of documents needed to apply for a visa.
  3. After successfully completing the first two steps, make a formal request for the Letter(s) of Invitation by submitting the online request form.
    • The letter from the University will be emailed to the graduate, who can then forward it to their guests for use in documenting their visa request.
    • If multiple guests are in need of a letter of invitation, please fill out this form multiple times.
    • Please allow two business days to receive the letter via email.

Accommodations & Transportation


Hotel arrangements for your guests should be made as soon as possible. Please visit the School of Public Health website for a listing of accommodations, as well as information on directions, airport and other transportation.


Public parking will be available in the UM parking structures and lots. The UM Parking Office will suspend enforcement for the parking structures/lots for graduates and their guests. Please avoid any specialty parking spaces such as the reserved spots for UM vehicles only.

For a complete listing of all city and campus parking please visit: