Apply for a PhD in Biostatistics
The application for the Doctor of Philosophy program in Biostatistics is administered by the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. The application deadline is December 1st.
Those applying for the Doctor of Philosophy program should complete the following:
- online application form
- a non-refundable application fee
- all domestic applicants will receive an automatic fee waiver
- three letters of recommendation (submitted online)
- a statement of purpose
- a personal statement
- A scanned/electronic copy of the official transcript will be used for initial review by our admissions committee. You will be required to have your official transcript sent to the Rackham Graduate School only if you are recommended for admission.
- International students whose first language is not English must also submit TOEFL scores.
Michigan Public Health does not require and does not review GRE or other standardized test scores for admission to any master's or doctoral programs. Applications will be reviewed holistically based on required application components. Please contact our admissions staff at email@example.com if you have questions.
The application deadline for the Ph.D. program is December 1st.
Applications received after December 1st will be considered if space remains available. We encourage you to contact the department at 734-615-9817 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are considering submitting a late application.
A special note to international students: because obtaining a visa for study in the USA from abroad can take a long time, we strongly recommend that international applicants apply as early as possible, and preferably no later than March 15. Please keep in the mind that the deadline for funding is December 1st.
- Applicants with either a relevant master's degree (i.e. a graduate degree comparable to our MS in biostatistics) or strong candidates with a bachelor’s degree will be considered for PhD admissions.
- Mathematics prerequisites for the MS:
- three semesters of calculus
- a course in matrix or linear algebra
- an introductory course in statistics or biostatistics
- students with less preparation in mathematics or statistics may be conditionally admitted.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to present evidence of
competency in English (TOEFL or MELAB scores) with their application or to have been
granted a degree in an English speaking institution.
- Please refer to the Admissions page for international applicants for details on English proficiency requirements and other requirements specific to international students.
- The code for the TOEFL is 1839
- All applicants must upload a scanned copy, front and back, of their official transcript/academic record issued by the Registrar or Records Office, to ApplyWeb for each bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degree earned or in progress. The scanned copy of the official transcript is used for initial review by the graduate program faculty. After an offer of admission is made, an official transcript must be submitted to Rackham.
- Please refer to Rackham Graduate School guidelines when submitting transcripts.
Current online grades policy
Courses must be:
- taken at an accredited university and successful participation is documented by a grade on the transcript or by a written communication from the instructor; OR
- followed by more advanced coursework (for example, multivariable calculus is followed by real analysis) at an accredited university and successful participation in the more advanced course is documented by a grade on the transcript or by a written communication from the instructor
Courses without grades or evaluation of class performance by the instructor typically will not satisfy program admissions requirements.
The duration of this relaxation of departmental policy may be extended depending on the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ph.D. Program Coordinator: Nicole Fenech
Department of Biostatistics
School of Public Health
University of Michigan
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029