Cross Campus Transfer Students


A cross-campus transfer student has completed college coursework on the University of Michigan (U-M) Ann Arbor campus but is not currently enrolled in the School of Public Health. Students are eligible to cross-campus transfer in their sophomore year.


The following coursework is required for admission to the undergraduate program. Applicants who complete all required coursework before application review begins (February of each year) will be most competitive for admission. However, applications will be reviewed for students with in-progress or incomplete prerequisite courses. The prerequisites must be fulfilled by courses taken for college credit (no AP courses) and students must earn a C- or better to fulfill the requirement (no pass/fail). Applicants should have 54 transferable credits before beginning the program.


The application opens on October 1 of each year and can be completed online. We want to get to know you requires two short essays. Cross-campus applicants do not need to submit official transcripts, unless post-secondary coursework has been completed outside U-M Ann Arbor. 

  • Official transcripts from post-secondary institutions outside U-M Ann Arbor can be mailed to SPH Admissions, Office of Student Engagement and Practice, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor MI, 48109 or emailed to
  • Transcripts for coursework completed outside U-M Ann Arbor must be received by February 1.  


Applications are accepted for fall term only. Applications are due on February 1. However, cross campus transfer applicants are encouraged to apply by January 15, the priority deadline, to guarantee an admission decision by early March (before pre-registration backpacking for fall term). 

Admission Criteria

The U-M School of Public Health considers the following academic factors in determining admission for cross-campus students:

  • Number of credit hours completed by proposed term of entry. 
  • Level of achievement in college coursework.
  • Successful completion of admission requirements.
  • Engagement with community and/or campus organizations.
  • Demonstrated interest in Public Health. Be sure to highlight what makes the public health major right for you given your interests, goals and experiences.


Prospective cross-campus applicants are encouraged to attend one of our information sessions to learn more about the academic majors and transfer process. See the events calendar for dates and times. If you are unable to attend an information session you may request an advising appointment by emailing