Study Abroad

Study Abroad Opportunities

The guidelines and resources below are intended to inform prospective and current School of Public Health (SPH) undergraduate students about study abroad options and how studying abroad fits with the public health curriculum. Once enrolled in the public health major, students may only study abroad in spring and summer terms. Students currently enrolled (and newly matriculated) in the Public Health Undergraduate Program may apply for study abroad funding on M-Compass here

Explore Study Abroad Options

M-Compass is a University of Michigan site where students can search and apply for study abroad programs. Internship, funding, and volunteer opportunities can also be found here. 

The Center for Global and Intercultural Study, known around campus simply as "CGIS," provides undergraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds a wide variety of global engagement and learning opportunities around the world. CGIS programming features semester-long study abroad options, 3–10 week programs during spring and summer, and academic- and calendar-year programs.

By participating in a CGIS program:

  • Public Health undergraduate students receive in-residence credit, just as if you had taken your courses here in Ann Arbor. This means that the course titles, credits, and grades earned through the study abroad program will appear on a U-M transcript under STDABRD, and the grades will calculate into the cumulative GPA.
  • Most of your financial aid will transfer, and your aid package can be adjusted to account for additional expenses such as airfare, passport and visa fees, and immunizations.
  • You will receive expert advice and support before, during, and after your experience.

It is never too early to start planning your global education experience. Stop by the CGIS office today, in 200 Weiser Hall, right under the main lobby.

U-M students have the option to study abroad outside of the University of Michigan. They can study abroad through an independent study abroad provider, study abroad through another U.S. institution, or directly enroll at an institution in the desired country of study. More information on non-UM study abroad programs can be found here

Study Abroad Credit Transfer and Approval Process

Do my study abroad credits transfer automatically?

  • Public Health undergraduate students receive in-residence credit for study abroad courses completed through a CGIS program. This means that the course titles, credits, and grades earned through the CGIS study abroad program will appear on a U-M transcript under STDABRD, and the grades will calculate into the cumulative GPA.
  • Approved credit from a non-UM program will be awarded as transfer credit; the letter grade will not be posted on the U-M transcript and will not be factored into the U-M GPA. 
    • Students pursuing a study abroad program not affiliated with U-M must search the U-M Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) database to determine how the course will transfer.
      • If the course is not listed on the TCE database AND does not have a public health focus, it must be reviewed by the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions via the Transfer Credit Equivalency Request form. Be sure to submit this request form before going abroad. If the credit is approved to transfer, forward the approval to Jillian McConville at 
      • If the course is not listed on the TCE database but does have a public health focus, please read the next section -- will my study abroad credits count as public health electives?  

Will my study abroad credits count as public health electives?

  • Whether you are participating in a CGIS program or a non-UM program, all courses with a public health focus must be reviewed by the School of Public Health Office of Undergraduate Education, in order to count as public health elective credits.
  • View courses and programs pre-approved to count for public health elective credit on the Public Health Study Abroad Course Repository.
  • If the course(s) is not listed in the course repository, submit courses to be considered for public health transfer credit to the Public Health Course Evaluation Form.

Additional Information on Study Abroad Credit

  • A course must be passed with a grade of "C" or better from an accredited institution and cannot be a duplication of courses completed at or previously transferred to U-M. All Pass/Fail courses must be accompanied by official documentation of a "C" grade or better.
  • Once you have registered as a U of M Ann Arbor student, the foreign language requirement must be completed here. You may not transfer in further language credits.
  • You will be awarded the number of credit hours you earned at the other U.S. institution. Note that we use semester credit hours (i.e., 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour).

Before Studying Abroad

  • Register travel dates and locations with U-M via the U-M Travel Registry. (Required for all students traveling on University-related business such as study abroad.)
  • Purchase travel health insurance. U-M provides access to reasonably priced health insurance.
  • Register with the State Department's STEP travel plans which enables the US government to better assist travelers in case of an emergency while are abroad.
  • Make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how studying abroad may affect financial aid.
  • Students with financial aid are encouraged to thoroughly research the applicability of her/his specific aid to this particular study abroad program. Start by understanding the kind of aid you receive and learning its specific restrictions. The U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA) has extensive resources on its website to guide students in making informed decisions. Read the study abroad section of the OFA website. After reading the website, schedule an appointment with Mike Ross, the financial aid officer who specializes in study abroad advising, to answer additional questions.

Following Study Abroad

  • In order to receive credit for courses completed, the official transcript must be sent directly to the School of Public Health. Official paper transcripts can be mailed to SPH Undergraduate Education, Office of Student Engagement and Practice, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor MI, 48109. Official electronic transcripts can be emailed to NOTE: This only applies to study abroad programs not affiliated with CGIS. 

Ready to Apply?

Start with our Admissions page to learn about specific degree application deadlines and requirements.

Get Started



For more information about the undergraduate admissions process, contact our admissions team at or 734-764-5425.

If you would like to receive more information about a specific department or program, please join our interest list. You can also request a phone, zoom or in-person appointment.

join our interest list