External Transfer Students


If you've attended a college or university other than the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, after graduating from high school, you're considered an external transfer student. The University of Michigan School of Public Health welcomes external transfer applications from students who have attended or are currently attending a post-secondary institution within the United States*.

*International applicants must have completed two consecutive academic years at a U.S. institution before matriculating into the program.


The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science are both upper-level undergraduate degrees. This means that students apply in their sophomore year and if admitted they spend their junior and senior years in the School of Public Health. Applicants must have 54 transferable credits before beginning the program. Learn more about how your credits will transfer here

Prerequisites courses (or equivalents):

The following coursework is required for admission to the undergraduate program. Applicants who complete all required coursework before application review begins (February of each year) will be most competitive for admission*. However, applications will be reviewed for students with in-progress or incomplete prerequisite courses. The prerequisites must be fulfilled by courses taken for college credit (no AP courses) and students must earn a C- or better to fulfill the requirement (no pass/fail). 

  • Health and Society: Introduction to Public Health (PUBHLTH 200)
  • Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis (STATS 250)
  • Fulfill the First Year Writing Requirement
  • A minimum of three credits in Social Sciences and Humanities OR Creative Expression (as defined by UM LSA)
  • A minimum of three credits in approved Life Sciences coursework. These courses should focus on the study of life and organisms.
    • Recommended accepted courses include those in anatomy, anthropology, biology (cellular, developmental, evolutionary and molecular), ecology, histology, immunology, and physiology.
    • Courses in chemistry and physics will not be accepted.
    • For questions about acceptable courses please email sph.inquiries@umich.edu.

*Applications from students attending institutions that do not offer equivalents of PUBHLTH 200 and STATS 250 will be given full consideration. If admitted the student will have the opportunity to take these courses in their first semester at Michigan Public Health.


The online application requires:

  • Two short essays (prompts are provided in the application)
  • Official Transcripts: You must submit official transcripts from the high school in which granted your diploma AND all post-secondary institutions, including any dual enrollment courses.
    • Official paper transcripts can be mailed to SPH Admissions, Office of Student Engagement and Practice, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor MI, 48109. Official electronic transcripts can be emailed to sph.inquiries@umich.edu.
    • Transcripts for coursework completed outside U-M Ann Arbor must be received by February 1.
  • Application fee: A non-refundable application fee of $75 is required at the time of application submission (credit cards only) 


The University of Michigan School of Public Health accepts external transfer applications for FALL only. Applications are due on February 1. However, applicants are encouraged to apply by January 15, the priority deadline, to receive a prompt admission decision.

Admission Criteria

The University of Michigan School of Public Health considers the following academic factors in determining admission for external transfer students:

  • Number of credit hours completed in transferable course work by proposed term of entry. See the transfer credit page for more information.
  • Level of achievement in college coursework.
  • Successful completion of admission requirements.
  • Engagement with community and/or campus organizations.
  • Demonstrated interest in Public Health. Be sure to highlight what makes the public health major right for you given your interests, goals and experiences.


Prospective external transfer applicants are encouraged to attend one of our information sessions to learn more about the academic majors and transfer process. Visit our events calendar for dates and times. To schedule an individual advising appointment, please email sph.inquiries@umich.edu.