Apply for a Master of Science in Biostatistics
The application for the Master of Science program in Biostatistics is administered by the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. The application deadline is December 1st.
Those applying for the Master of Science in Biostatistics program should complete the following:
- online application form
- a non-refundable application fee
- all domestic applicants will receive an automatic fee waiver
- three letters of recommendation (submitted online)
- a statement of purpose and a personal statement
- A scanned/electronic copy of the official transcript will be used for initial review by our admissions committee. You will be required to have your official transcript sent to the Rackham Graduate School only if you are recommended for admission.
- International students whose first language is not English must also submit TOEFL scores.
Michigan Public Health does not require and does not review GRE or other standardized test scores for admission to any master's or doctoral programs. Applications will be reviewed holistically based on required application components. Please contact our admissions staff at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
The deadline for applications to the Biostatistics MS program is December 1st.
Applications received after December 1 will be considered if space remains available. We encourage you to contact Fatma Nedjari at 734-615-9812 or email@example.com if you are considering submitting a late application. May 15 as the final domestic deadline.
A special note to international students: because obtaining a visa for study in the U.S. from abroad can take a long time; we strongly recommend that late international applicants apply as early as possible and preferably no later than March 15. Please, keep in the mind that the deadline for funding is December 1.
Minimum Requirements for Master of Science in Biostatistics:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Mathematics prerequisites (Students with less preparation in mathematics or statistics
may be conditionally admitted.):
- three semesters of calculus
- a course in matrix or linear algebra
- an introductory course in statistics or biostatistics
- See topics covered
- All applicants must upload a scanned copy, front and back, of their official transcript/academic record issued by the Registrar or Records Office, to ApplyWeb for each bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degree earned or in progress. The scanned copy of the official transcript is used for initial review by the graduate program faculty. After an offer of admission is made, an official transcript must be submitted to Rackham.
- Please refer to Rackham Graduate School guidelines when submitting transcripts.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to present evidence of competency in English (TOEFL or MELAB scores) with their application or to have been granted a degree in an English speaking institution. Please refer to the Admissions page for international applicants for details on English proficiency requirements and other requirements specific to international students. The code for TOEFL is 1839.
Current online grades policy
Courses must be:
- taken at an accredited university and successful participation is documented by a grade on the transcript or by a written communication from the instructor; OR
- followed by more advanced coursework (for example, multivariable calculus is followed by real analysis) at an accredited university and successful participation in the more advanced course is documented by a grade on the transcript or by a written communication from the instructor.
Courses without grades or evaluation of class performance by the instructor typically will not satisfy program admissions requirements.
The duration of this relaxation of departmental policy may be extended depending on the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
M.S. Program Coordinator: Fatma Nedjari
Department of Biostatistics
School of Public Health
University of Michigan
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029