Ph.D. Student Profile
Astrid Zamora, BS, MPH
- Doctoral Candidate
- Cognate: Nutritional Epidemiology
- MPH in Public Health Nutrition, UC Berkeley
- BS in Nutrition Science and Biochemistry, UC Davis
Research Interests & Projects
I am interested in exploring pathways linking exogenous and endogenous chemicals to sleep and metabolic outcomes among girls and women during sensitive and critical reproductive periods in women’s health. I am also interested in understanding how dietary intake modifies these associations. More broadly, my long-term research goals include providing evidence for protective interventions and mitigation actions to reduce exposure to environmental toxicants, including those found in the diet, among vulnerable populations.
- Zamora AN, Jansen EC, Tamayo-Ortiz M, Goodrich JM, Sánchez BN, Watkins DJ, Tamayo-Orozco JA, Téllez-Rojo MM, Mercado-García A, Baylin A, Meeker JD, & Peterson KE. (2021). Exposure to Phenols, Phthalates, and Parabens and Development of Metabolic Syndrome Among Mexican Women in Midlife. Frontiers in public health, 9, 620769. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.620769
- Zamora AN, Arboleda-Merino L, Tellez-Rojo, MM, O'Brien, LM, Torres-Olascoaga, LA, Peterson KE, Banker M, Fossee E, Song PX, Taylor K, Cantoral A, Roberts E, & Jansen EC. (2021). Sleep Difficulties among Mexican Adolescents: Subjective and Objective Assessments of Sleep. Behavioral sleep medicine, 1–21. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/15402002.2021.1916497
- Zamora AN, Waselewski ME, Frank AJ, Nawrocki JR, Hanson AR, & Chang T. (2021). Exploring the beliefs and perceptions of spending time in nature among U.S. youth. BMC public health, 21(1), 1586. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-11622-x
- Zamora AN, Watkins DJ, Peterson KE, Téllez-Rojo MM, Hu H, Meeker JD, Cantoral A, Mercado-García A & Jansen EC. (2022). Prenatal maternal pesticide exposure in relation to sleep health of offspring during adolescence. Environmental Research, 204, 111977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2021.111977
- Zamora AN, Peterson KE, Téllez-Rojo MM, Meeker JD, Goodrich JM, Dolinoy DC, Song PXK, Toress-Olascoaga LA, Cantoral A, Jansen EC. (2021, August). Exposure to phthalates in relation to sleep duration and social jetlag among adolescent boys and girls in Mexico City. Virtual poster sesión to be presented at the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) Annual Conference, New York, NY. https://doi.org/10.1289/isee.2021.P-295
- Zamora AN, Peterson KE, Téllez-Rojo MM, Cantoral A, Song PXK, Solano-González M, Mercado-García A, Fossee E, Jansen EC. (2021, June). Prenatal diet in relation to sleep health of Mexican offspring during adolescence: Evidence from the ELEMENT study. Virtual poster session to be presented at the American Society for Nutrition (ASN) Annual Conference, Boston, MA. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzab046_130
- Fossee E, Zamora AN, Peterson KE, Cantoral A, Perng W, Téllez-Rojo MM, Jansen EC. (2021, June). A prospective study of prenatal maternal dietary patterns and offspring adipokine levels during adolescence. Virtual poster session to be presented at the American Society for Nutrition (ASN) Annual Conference, Boston, MA. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzab046_042
- Zamora AN, Peterson KE, Jansen EC. (2020, December). Association between household pesticide exposure and sleep health among a representative sample of U.S. Adults: Evidence from NHANES 2009-2014. Virtual oral presentation session presented at the Network for Minority Researcher Investigators (NMRI). Seattle, WA.
Astrid is a grantee of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (3R24ES028502-04S1). LSA International Institute and Rackham School of Graduate Studies are funding her exploratory research titled, Drivers of sleep health among perimenopausal working-class Mexican women (Mexico City, MX).