Pursue the Certificate
If you are interested in pursuing an online graduate certificate from the School of Public Health (SPH), please follow the steps below.
Step 1: Plan. Plan. Plan.
Please look carefully at certificate eligibility and requirements for each program, and plan accordingly. Please speak with your advisor or program manager to review course planning.
At the School of Public Health, credits cannot be triple counted (meaning one course cannot count towards the degree program and two certificate programs). If pursuing a program at Rackham, a third degree or certificate must stand alone. Dual degree students are responsible for making sure requirements are met between schools.
Step 2: Complete the Declaration of Intent Form
Completing the Declaration of Intent Form lets us know you officially intend to pursue the certificate. Once we receive this form, we will update your official transcript to show that you have matriculated into the certificate program and we will add you to the appropriate email group. This will allow us to communicate with you throughout your educational experience.
Note to incoming students: Please wait to declare intent until starting your program and attending a certificate info session. Students may register for courses in advance of declaring intent.
Important: If you do not see the certificate listed on your transcript under "Program Action History" within two weeks of declaring intent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3. Apply to graduate from the certificate in Wolverine Access
During your final semester, apply for graduation from both your degree and certificate program(s) through Wolverine Access. This step is crucial to the degree audit and record keeping process. Failure to do so will cause delays and will move your graduation term to a later date. Students must declare intent first in order to apply to graduate from a certificate (see Step 2).
- Your transcript will not list the certificate as complete and you will not receive a certificate diploma unless you apply to graduate from the certificate(s) and meet all requirements.
- If you do not apply to graduate from the certificate and do not meet certificate requirements, the certificate will automatically be discontinued at graduation. We will not grant certificates after graduation.
- Certificates can only be conferred at the same time as a UM degree.
- Certificates are not listed on the SPH Commencement Program.
- If you decide you are no longer interested in the certificate, please e-mail email@example.com to request a discontinuation.