About the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education
The mission of the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education is to promote health and prevent and manage disease within diverse populations.
- Our programs examine the social and behavioral factors associated with health status and behavior and how to develop interventions that promote health, prevent disease, and manage chronic illness.
- Our faculty provides students with a broad range of courses, including those which emphasize individual, family, social network, community, and policy approaches to health behavior and health education.
- Our courses integrate theory, research, and practice through the use of case studies, small group discussions, community partnerships and technology.
- Our research uses multiple design approaches and methods and community involvement to explore basic research questions, evaluate interventions, and apply findings to program development.
HBHE At A Glance
- 24 Tenure Track Faculty
- 5 Research Faculty
- 5 Clinical Faculty
- 12 Faculty with Joint Appointments
- 162 Students
- 1,700 Alumni
- 70 Staff
- 10 Research Centers
Our legacy began with the work of Mabel Rugen, one of the founding faculty members of the School of Public Health in 1941. The Department of Health Behavior and Health Education was established in 1975.
You can learn more about the history of our program and the accomplishments of our faculty, staff and students on our Department History page.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are actively engaged in DE&I efforts within the department, school and University. Current HBHE initiatives include:
- DEI Departmental Groups:
- Student DEI Action Committee
- Staff DEI Committee
- Faculty DEI Task Force
- Book Club focused on reading diverse perspectives
- 'Let's Talk About' series where faculty, staff and students confront challenging topics
Contact Jenny Crawford (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about department DEI efforts and any of the opportunities listed here.
Department of Health Behavior & Health Education
School of Public Health
University of Michigan
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029