Ph.D. Student Profile
Maren Miriam Spolum, M.P.H, M.P.P.
- Doctoral Candidate
- MPH, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, HBHE (2012)
- MPP, University of Michigan, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy (2012)
- BA, History, Philosophy & the Social Studies of Science & Medicine, University of Chicago (2006)
Research Interests & Projects
- Political economy of health
- Racialized neoliberalism
- Structural racism
- Police violence & abolition
- Health Inequities
- Spolum MM, Lopez WD, Watkins DC, Fleming PJ. (2023) Police violence: Reducing the harms of policing through public health-informed alternative response programs. American Journal of Public Health, 113(S1):S37-S42. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2022.307107
- PJ Fleming, MM Spolum, WD Lopez, S Galea. (2021) The public health funding paradox: How funding the problem and solution impedes public health progress. Public Health Reports, 136(1):10-13.
- PJ Fleming, WD Lopez, M Spolum, RE Anderson, AG Reyes, AJ Schulz. (2021). Policing is a public health issue: the important role of health educators. Health Education & Behavior, 48(5):553-558.
- Pre-Doctoral Trainee, National Institute of Child Health and Development (2019-ongoing)
- HBHE PhD Student Organization (HBHEDoc) Co-Chair 2020-2023
- Graduate Employees’ Organization (GEO) member, 2019-ongoing